Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BTW, I do not have a repair manual - if you could suggest an inexpensive place to get one that would also be very helpful.
Here are my issues:
1. My check engine light is on?
2. The battery light comes on when I turn on the car and stay on while I'm driving and dings, four times every few minutes.
- The OWNERS Manual says something about a generator drive belt, but I have no idea where or what that is.
3. The security light is on?
4. The service engine soon light is on?
5. The Blinkers work when they want to?
6. The Radio works, but when it wants to, mostly in the afternoon, it reads Locked and/or Cal Err
7. The alarm is silent, I know you are supposed to turn this on through the radio with the DISP, but it does not work, I push the button and nothing happens.
I have money to put into it, just need to know how and what to fix.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE. I really like my car, just need the lights and ding ding to stop.
I have no problem getting down in there to get dirty, this car was basically given to me and I don't have the repair manual like I said. Willing and able to do work myself...

·
Registered
483 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
I would bet that the symptoms are all related to the low voltage issue. Sounds like the code is telling you you're serpentine belt is bad, so your alternator isn't putting out full voltage and you're battery isn't charging. Just a guess here.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Try AutoZone or OReilly Auto Parts for the book and might have them do a scan on the cars computer for more info from the cars computer.

The belt is on the passenger side of the car, with the engine running it will be the black thing that is driving all of the pully's. Be very careful not to get your hand in there while the engine is running.

I agree with Erik that you have a voltage issue, it may be a bad alternator (which charges the battery and runs the cars electrical power when the engine is running), or possible a worn out belt. With the engine off measure the battery voltage, should be about 12 to 12.5 volts. Now with the engine running measure the alternator output, should be between 13.2 to 14.5. If the voltage is not up in this range replace the alternator.

If neither one is the problem then I would check for a problem in the steering column, it may be that the steering column ground is bad or a power wire is bad, with out checking the car out it is hard to say.

If you are not very good at tracing electrical problems out you may find it easier to have a good mechanic check this out for you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Try AutoZone or OReilly Auto Parts for the book and might have them do a scan on the cars computer for more info from the cars computer.

The belt is on the passenger side of the car, with the engine running it will be the black thing that is driving all of the pully's. Be very careful not to get your hand in there while the engine is running.

I agree with Erik that you have a voltage issue, it may be a bad alternator (which charges the battery and runs the cars electrical power when the engine is running), or possible a worn out belt. With the engine off measure the battery voltage, should be about 12 to 12.5 volts. Now with the engine running measure the alternator output, should be between 13.2 to 14.5. If the voltage is not up in this range replace the alternator.

If neither one is the problem then I would check for a problem in the steering column, it may be that the steering column ground is bad or a power wire is bad, with out checking the car out it is hard to say.

If you are not very good at tracing electrical problems out you may find it easier to have a good mechanic check this out for you.
Autozone and others can also test your alternator for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts