Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing an LT1 swap this week, and I am basically dead set on ordering a cable and purchasing tunercat software to reprogram my PCM. I am curious to know what the actual differences are between the L99 and LT1 tune? I know people make money by tuning pcms and all, but I would love to be able to say that I accomplished it myself. I'm sure there is confidential information about tuning these that I have to pay money to receive.. but I figure it's worth a shot to ask. I'd be willing to trade a fancy L99 Intake in exchange for some direct tips on tuning my pcm haha. :wink: Any input would be appreciated regardless, thank you.

·
Super Moderator
3,933 Posts
Best to just start with an LT1 tune. I can probably find one to email you so PM me your email address. There are a LOT of tables in Tunercat, more than you would ever want to consider manipulating individually, you can start with an LT1 tune MUCH more easily.

I realized I probably never mentioned you should do a shift kit too as the tranny was setup a little softer on the L99.

I am sure there are subtle things like volumetric efficiency and such that are different but the BIG thing is going to be injector size and related tables, the L99 has 19lbs the LT1 24lbs talking just over a 25% difference, screw up fueling that much and you can do engine damage.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, with the LT1 tune that you send me, Is that something I can use to tune the pcm with tunercat programmer? And how hard is that to figure out?

·
Super Moderator
3,933 Posts
What do you mean? You can use tunercat to load the software into the pcm, you would also need a cable but seems you were aware of that. It is not hard at all, BUT if something gets interrupted during the reflashing it freezes the pcm up so badly a couple chips inside need to be desoldered from the board and reflashed, been there done that, a crappy OLD copy of Windows Millennium was to blame.

I would also strongly recommend TTS Datamaster I think Tunercat can bundle that with the cable and tuning software.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand. The only thing I'm worried about is getting confused while entering the new tune. I'm sure I'll find that it's as straight forward as everyone seems to say it is. I'll PM my email to you. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts