Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a used 2003 Impala with Keyless Entry but the remote was broken (pieces from the battery compartment are missing so it won't hold a battery or connect to the - side)

The owners manual explains how to program a new remote, but for some reason I can't get it to work, I can't get past the first step!

When I press "DISP" on the radio for 5 seconds, or longer, it does absolutely nothing. No menu comes up. Am I missing something? Do I have to take it to a dealer to get it programmed?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I hate to ask but is your Radio on or off?

IF you have been trying with it on, make sure to turn off the radio and press it for around 5 seconds. Settings should Display. Then press the Seek until it show the menu to Program Fob.

IF that don't work for you then would need to go to the Dealer for programming...

Also note make sure you car is in ACC or On but not running..

Hope this helps
James

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My radio is off. Is this a defect or something? I would assume I'd have access to SOME settings.

·
Registered
588 Posts
IF it isn't working there there must be an issue with your Radio...

Turn car on. Radio off... As in Picture.

Then press the DISP Button until Settings

Then press Seek past Tire Mon and all other options

Until you get to

Then you can Press #2 AKA NExt until

The rest as it says in your Manual to program the Remotes you have. Once you have them you can press seek to go to Exit or just turn off the car works too. However some people say without pressing exit it didn't work for them.. So I have always turn off after done and they have worked.... Just saying.. Hope this helps some... If it don't work. Then something maybe wrong with your Radio...

James

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well like I said, "DISP" does nothing. I'm wondering if there's a way to turn this off at the dealer or mechanic and that's what happened? It's the factory installed radio, everything else works on it as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
588 Posts
No sadly if it don't work then the button is bad so when you push it there is no contact to tell the radio to do the function your asking for...

You could get a new OEM radio, sadly being a 03 it is likely that it would need to be Programmed at the dealer to work. So either way sounds like a trip to the dealer is needed. So save on the OEM radio, Get your Fob programmed at the dealer and if all else fails get a better Aftermarket radio with features that you may use, Like Bluetooth, and such. Heck even now you can get a Cheap no CD head unit from Wal Mart for under 50 that will have input and Bluetooth and other things that a 13 year OEM deck don't offer....

James

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to deal without having that menu for now because I'm not paying to have the radio reprogrammed (or replaced if that were the case). At least it works for the radio stuff and that's what I need it for.

I did go to a dealer and had them program the FOBS, which they did not charge for.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Very nice to hear your dealer didn't charge you for the programming of your Remote. As long as the Radio does what you need it to do then there is no need as you said to change it out.... I was only offering info about what a new Aftermarket has to offer other then a OEM. They are not cheap from the dealer to replace and if you get them from a wrecked car they are programmed to the Cars Vin by the dealer... Older ones may work without programming but not sure when the Wiring changed. Also there are some people around that sale them Unlocked... Just info...

James

1 - 8 of 8 Posts