Impala Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for the 2006 Impala where the Key wont come out of the ignition and you will only need a flat head screw driver. First you need to identify the rubber plate below the key, pry it open with a flat head screw driver. Then with a flashlight on the right-hand side of the opening you will see a white object with a silver piece of metal protruding from it (it's a button as seen in the forth picture). You need to take your flat head screw driver and push the button up while turning the key. That's it, that is one way to key your key back out.

If anyone has a write-up for replacing this object let me know, and post it in this forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
My key tends to get stuck in the ignition from time to time and all I do is push up on my shifter and my key is released. I have never had to tear apart the ignition area.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Ahh what a neat access panel. Gm must have been expecting problems, eh?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, been stuck doing this for about 2 months now. Funds a little low now, hopefully I can get a permanent fix soon, Not too fond of removing the air bag to fix this, so I'll end up taking to a "pro".

·
Registered
2 Posts
2008 Chevy Impala Key Stuck In Ignition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFco-bP0wI4
This happened to us yesterday! I found this video, we got the key out. I also found some info through my local library. They have a chiltonsonline manual. Looks like this is a common issue for many people. Here is a link on Key Stuck In Ignition.

http://content.chiltonsonline.com/TSB/displayTSBHandler.ashx?assetID=79125&key=6kAUBD5BruOJf/3tgozUqjXM3RdbjcQqW4sVWiE/p2IojfpfKqM07dr61+QAWHtT+FuNZ/TgmoCpO5ULdanJrp9RGtJZZNH4xMie9Abur3OD41pxWJd3Rg9E7xTwnnMtSVaD7FZACPJKl3x4vdPU2A==

·
Registered
2 Posts
What is the name of that particular part? On my wife's 2008 Impala the cylinder will not stay in so I am thinking some sort of retainer ring has disintegrated or otherwise disappeared. I want to order a new one but need the name of it. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well for me to fix the key issue it turned out to be a broken off wire from the shift solenoid (near the floor shifter). spliced new wired reinserted and the key came out on it's own.

G

·
0 Posts
This is for the 2006 Impala where the Key wont come out of the ignition and you will only need a flat head screw driver. First you need to identify the rubber plate below the key, pry it open with a flat head screw driver. Then with a flashlight on the right-hand side of the opening you will see a white object with a silver piece of metal protruding from it (it's a button as seen in the forth picture). You need to take your flat head screw driver and push the button up while turning the key. That's it, that is one way to key your key back out.

If anyone has a write-up for replacing this object let me know, and post it in this forum.
Thank you! Thank you! I borrowed a friend's car and listened to the radio until the battery died and the key wouldn't come out of the ignition. Your photos were priceless and your step by step instructions were right on. I used the arm of a pair of reading glasses to push the button up because there wasn't screwdriver in the car. Worked perfectly. Thank you again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
key stuck in ignition

I have a 2009 Impala and the shifter was stuck in park. I replaced the wiring connector to the shifter and now it works great but the key is stuck in the ignition. I've noticed if I hold the brake and touch the green and purple wires together then turn the key on and back off the key when come out. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? This is about the 7th electrical issue I've had with this vehicle. I have never owned anything but GM products but this is probably my last one.

·
Super Moderator
10,945 Posts
Wondering if the actual switch connected to the shifter ( that the connecter plugs into ) may be pooched ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im not sure but I did get two new connectors just to see if the first was faulty but still have the same problem. wonder if it may be a fuse? any help would be very appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Are you sure that your RAP fuse is OK? If the RAP fuse it bad, it will also not allow the key to come out of the ignition. The RAP fuse is in the passenger site "footwell" area fusebox and is kinda hard to see/access - it's up behind the metal relays (they kinda block it from being seen). It's a red fuse.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are you sure that your RAP fuse is OK? If the RAP fuse it bad, it will also not allow the key to come out of the ignition. The RAP fuse is in the passenger site "footwell" area fusebox and is kinda hard to see/access - it's up behind the metal relays (they kinda block it from being seen). It's a red fuse.

Thank you. That fixed it. I didn't even see that fuse the first time I checked. I'm disappointed that Chevy hasn't issued a recall for this but I'm grateful that people are willing to help each other with these problems.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Believe it or not, I've found that this community tends to know more about these cars than the dealer service departments do! It's an awesome community and makes owning these cars so much more enjoyable!

Glad to hear it was just a simple issue. Hopefully, you'll be problem free for a while now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Permanent Key Fix

For those of you who have checked out the shift solenoid box wiring, the fuses, the wiring harness, connector, and are still stuck. There is a permanent method that is pretty simple to do and you will never have to worry about your key getting stuck EVER again. I have checked all the previous items above. I even found a broken solder joint on the actuator switch inside the shifter solenoid box. I soldered that back together and still nothing. Sometimes you just have to eliminate this fancy garbage.

DISCLAIMER!!! You do not need this part for your vehicle to run, however, you will be able to turn your key back while the vehicle is in Drive. Just like the old days. So, if you still want this feature on your car for safety reasons, then by all means, take it to the dealer. In my opinion, they are trying to make these cars idiot-proof, which is good, but they slap it together as cheap as possible and it ALWAYS breaks.

What you need to do is:

1) Remove the top and bottom steering column cover.
2) Locate the key manual release button which is part of a white plastic actuator just like in the pictures at the beginning of this thread. This is part of the ignition locking solenoid. This is mounted to the ignition switch with a tab on the top and a Torx screw on the bottom. There are 2 wires in a connector plugged into it. One wire is purple and the other one is black. Yes, the purple wire on this solenoid is the same wire that is plugged into your shifter connector. When you put the car in Park, the purple wire gets battery voltage up to this solenoid and it releases the pin that locks your ignition cylinder from turning all the way back.
3) Unplug the small connector that has the purple and black wires going into it.
4) Using a small screwdriver, push in the release tab on the top of the ignition locking solenoid. It should push away a little bit and you will see a small pin that is sticking out that used to keep you from turning your key back. The pin stays with the ignition locking solenoid.
5) Now, it is up to you if you want to find a very small Torx socket and remove the screw at the bottom, or just break the plastic off by rotating the solenoid. Another option, is you can just leave the top pulled away from the ignition tumbler and save it for later.
6) With the ignition locking solenoid removed, tuck the connector into something so it is out of the way.
7) If you chose to discard the device or leave it hanging out slightly, put the steering column covers back on.
8) Enjoy driving your car without ever having to worry about your key getting stuck ever again. Those of you that have ever disconnected the battery and tried to turn the key and then it wouldn't come back out. That is eliminated too.

I would have added pictures, but the site will not let me. My picture sizes are too big.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know what that particular solenoid is called? The GM dealer doesn't seem to know. I will completely bypass it as gearhead514 instructs if I have to. I am sort of a purist and would like to keep the car as original as possible. My wife is getting tired of the tape keeping the plunger from falling out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts