Impala Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1965 Impala that I am planning to have restored. There is a year wait until my person can start. In the meantime, I had some work done on the house, the guys had to move the car, now the keys are missing. Of course, they know nothing about any keys. Being the dummy that I am, I do not have another set. How would I go about getting someone to make a replacement key. The car does have two keys (both gone!). A square one and a round one.

·
Registered
296 Posts
locksmith is your only option. no way would anyone get my keys in first place tho.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Get some kind of mechanical immobilizer (like a Denver boot or two) for the car NOW, something is fishy here and one of those guys who did the work on your house likely has plans to steal your car.

While you're at it, you should change the locks on your house as well, they may have copied your house keys.

Maybe 90% are honest, hardworking guys who wouldn't steal a beer from your fridge - it's the 1 in 10 that you have to protect yourself against.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The square key is for the ignition and the round key is for the doors and the trunk. If they took your keys I would NOT make new keys Just replace the ignition and door locks It is not that hard to do.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Remove the Registration and Insurance papers.
Remove your plates if there's plates on the car.
Remove the Distributor Rotor.
Add another level of immobilization against starting the engine.
A stand-in for the Coil Wire having absolutely no conductivity will stump some thieves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts