Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost one of my key fobs for my 08 SS.
How do I go about finding which one will work on my car. The numbers on the back of the one I do have are unreadable?
I found a couple on e-bay just wondering which one will work?
Thanks
B L Swan

·
Registered
416 Posts
I lost one of my key fobs for my 08 SS.
How do I go about finding which one will work on my car. The numbers on the back of the one I do have are unreadable?
I found a couple on e-bay just wondering which one will work?
Thanks
B L Swan
The numbers for the remote are: 4 button w/o remote start is 15912859 and 5 button with remote start 15912860

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just bought one from ebay seller "midwestkeyless" - like you I was a little skeptical but the stealership wanted $150 for it and told me that I needed to go through service to get it programmed. I figured for $20 plus shipping what the heck. Anyway it arrived today and I programmed it and all is good. I just ordered one that was listed for my car ('08 Impala, no remote start.)

Now I just need to get a key blank so that I can get another key programmed in... same story from parts counter, $75 and you need to have service program it. No dumb*** I don't, I read the owner's manual. Funny thing was my fleet people would have paid for the key (just not the remote) so I was going to go ahead and do it, the service writer told me to go back to the parts counter and have them just cut the key and told me how to program it myself. Guess their departments don't talk to each other! By this time I'd wasted enough time so I just bailed and went back to the office to get some work done. (was a little annoyed as the service entrance and the parts counter were a bit of a hike away from each other.)

I found a web site that sells the key blanks, and have ordered one (also ~$25ish) will report back with success or dismal failure. Of course I won't get reimbursed for the cost of the key now but geez, the dealership was pissing me off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought this key

http://www.carlocksandkeys.com/servlet/the-2226/Chevrolet-Impala-Transponder-Key,/Detail

and it works too. Had it cut for $2 at a local locksmith, and even though both he and the parts guy at the dealership said that I would have to go to the dealer to get it programmed, I just followed the procedure in the owner's manual (same one the dealership service guy told me to use) and it works fine. just got back from a shopping trip using that key and left the other one at home. Only downside is the lack of bowtie, if such is important to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts