Impala Forums banner

key fob suddenly not working 2013 Impala

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jimbojones 
#1 ·
The other day I found that the key fob would not unlatch the trunk lid. It would not do anything. I replaced the coin battery and it still would not work. I checked the new battery and it is good. I checked the other key fob and found that it too was inop. I installed the checked new battery in fob number 2 and it still would not work. None of the fob functions would work. I have done some searching and it is suggested that the Body Control Module may be the problem. After a number of online searches I have not been able to find the location of the BCM. Any information or suggestions will be appreciated. I find that there are many modules for sale on ebay. Once I find the location is there any test to be done? Are the used modules a good idea? Thanks for any help. Bill Klein

#2 ·
You could have the vehicle scanned for trouble codes.

You could also remove the negative battery cable for five minutes, then reconnect it - to see if the key fobs would then work (by resetting the system). Note, if you disconnect the battery - it will erase any stored codes.

The BCM, if replaced, must be reprogrammed with the car’s VIN to ensure it has the proper coding.

#3 ·
Since it doesn't work with either remote, it's highly unlikely they're the issue, but just in case - find someone with an Autel (or similar) TPMS tool. They also double as a remote tester! You just go into the right mode, and start stabbing buttons on the remote. It just says 'signal received' kind of thing, not knowing what it got.

#6 ·
I bought two chinese fobs and two keys for $15 shipped on eBay the other day. The Chinese ones work but the printed symbols wipe off quickly... you could try putting the OEM GM membranes in the Chinese fobs. But like the others said, its unlikely that both fob's failed - its something with the BCM or Remote Control Door Lock Receiver. That is a separate module from the BCM. They should be able to test it. Used ones on eBay are in the $30-40 range. Watch out for the seller that wants $185 to ship a used one (I already reported them).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.