Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I own a 2004 Impala and am having a lot of difficulty programming my key fob. The first key fob I had started dying and would work sometimes and then stop so I figured it was the battery. Changed the battery and then it stopped working all together. Bought a new one that came in today and it has a fresh battery (checked with multimeter) and I still can't program it. I used Kermone's guide and never heard a beep until I completely exited out of the setup menu. I held down the lock and unlock buttons for about a minute before the "push fob" message timed out. I even tried to hold down the DISP button to see if it would flash like stated in the guide but it just kicked me out of the setup menu. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
667 Posts
Hello everyone! I own a 2004 Impala and am having a lot of difficulty programming my key fob. The first key fob I had started dying and would work sometimes and then stop so I figured it was the battery. Changed the battery and then it stopped working all together. Bought a new one that came in today and it has a fresh battery (checked with multimeter) and I still can't program it. I used Kermone's guide and never heard a beep until I completely exited out of the setup menu. I held down the lock and unlock buttons for about a minute before the "push fob" message timed out. I even tried to hold down the DISP button to see if it would flash like stated in the guide but it just kicked me out of the setup menu. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
make sure the FCC id matches

KOBUT1BT

is for 00 to 02

KOBLEAR1XT

is from 03 to 05.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
There is a max number of fobs that can be programmed - perhaps perform the clear all fobs/erase procedure and then try it. There may be other fobs out there that were programmed at some point in time and the car has reached it's max.

·
Banned
667 Posts
There is a max number of fobs that can be programmed - perhaps perform the clear all fobs/erase procedure and then try it. There may be other fobs out there that were programmed at some point in time and the car has reached it's max.
reprograming/Add deactivates all other fob.

Yeah it has KOBLEAR1XT on the back. In fact both fobs read exactly the same on the back.
Could have been a rebuilt remote.
Open the remote with a nickel, so you don't damage it
Check the motherboard.

if it's the correct one the radio may have been replaced with a 00 to 02 or the remote is no good.

these programming instructions worked for me http://www.impalaforums.com/resource-center/239554-programming-a-new-remote.html

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
reprograming/Add deactivates all other fob.
That's kind of what I figured, but wasn't sure.

Could have been a rebuilt remote.
Open the remote with a nickel, so you don't damage it
Check the motherboard.

if it's the correct one the radio may have been replaced with a 00 to 02 or the remote is no good.
I popped the new one and the old one open and they both look the same.

I used those instructions with no luck. I can try them again, but I think the same thing will happen.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I tried to do this the other day with a new one. The first time I tried the new one first and nothing beeped and the message went away. So I tried again and used my original fob and then the new one and it worked. I think it was just a fluke but who knows

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried to do this the other day with a new one. The first time I tried the new one first and nothing beeped and the message went away. So I tried again and used my original fob and then the new one and it worked. I think it was just a fluke but who knows
I would try that but the original is broken so that's not an option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So its February (almost March) and I still can't get it programmed. I just gave up on it since I came off of vacation from work. Maybe now someone might have an idea of whats going on with this thing.

I have the correct key fob, the correct battery, the battery is in the correct position, the battery is fully charged, and I've followed the instructions on this site to the letter. With that said the fob still won't work and I don't know how to fix it. Someone here has to know something or has run into this before. I can't be the only person that this has happened to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does your car flash the message to PUSH FOB? I replaced my Remote Door Lock Receiver on my 06 Impala LT 3.9 recently and had to take it to the dealer for re-programming of the RDLR into the computer.

While I was first trying to troubleshoot my inability to link my key fobs to the car after replacing the RDLR I read a lot of people having trouble because their fobs would stop working one day and could not re-link them, ended up taking it to the dealer for them to re-program the RDLR using their machine. When I took it they charged me $108. It's like if the computer got amnesia and forgot about the RDLR, therefore not being able to communicate with the fobs

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Try the procedure again but, with key on acc position. Worth a shot. If nothing try replacing battery once again. Still worth a shot. The instructions above ARE correct as confirmed below. Where did you purchase the remote? I had no problems with mine that I bought on amazon for $25 I believe.

2004 Chevrolet Impala - Free Keyless Remote Fob Entry programming instructions, procedures for all automotive vehicles

If all fails bring it to a dealer. I know this sucks but, so does having a remote that doesn't work

·
Premium Member
18,506 Posts
Thanks for posting this guys. This was going to be my next issue. I wonder if the BCM is off-kilter if that would add to the issues here? I know mine is...."off"....

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ It very well could be a bcm issue but, you would likely have other problems along with it. Such as a passlock problem

·
Premium Member
18,506 Posts
Nope. I was able to reprogram it following the instructions here! But, it was forgotten. I suspect the BCM because sometimes, while driving my chimes will go off, and my doors unlock and lock. The interior lights also come on when this happens. I wasnt to carry holy water with me at night....:lol:

Thats also why I was looking at Auntjemima's BCM in the for sale section, but haven't heard back from him yet...

This is also why I was thinking, for the OP, that his BCM could be bad also/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all your replies. I had given up hope that anyone cared to even think about this anymore.

@ldestrada5: Yeah "push fob" comes up and I do that but then I get nothing after that.

@g25racer: I also bought mine from Amazon and in the past I've used those same instructions from that site to reprogram my fobs.

@Joe: I've also tried your method.

@tonyc712000: I think this might be the issue. I get the security message pop up randomly and sometimes the car won't start. Thought it was a bad starter but now that I keep hearing about this passlock thing I'm starting to think that might be it.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
@tonyc712000: I think this might be the issue. I get the security message pop up randomly and sometimes the car won't start. Thought it was a bad starter but now that I keep hearing about this passlock thing I'm starting to think that might be it.

This is a big indication of a failing bcm which, most of the time is caused by a failing ignition switch and cylinder. A failing ignition switch sends the wrong amount of voltage to components and tends to burn them up. Likely what happened. The passlock switch is located at the end of the key cylinder. I would start by replacing the ignition switch and cylinder :eek:k3: This will likely fix the passlock security issue and fix the "not starting". Then, try to program the fob. If nothing still, I would have a dealer check out the bcm (body control module).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts