Impala Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from my morning walk. 32 degrees outside. Walk lasted about 30 minutes. Walked by my car and hit the lock function on the FOB. That and other functions not working. The backup FOB I keep inside the house worked fine. Several minutes later after it came up to room temperature...it's working like a charm. TMI

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Just got back from my morning walk. 32 degrees outside. Walk lasted about 30 minutes. Walked by my car and hit the lock function on the FOB. That and other functions not working. The backup FOB I keep inside the house worked fine. Several minutes later after it came up to room temperature...it's working like a charm. TMI

Fob battery getting weak - the cold may have had a effect. Replace it?

·
Registered
2002 Impala 3.4L V6 LT FWD 243.1k miles
321 Posts
@BillR. : Was wondering how old your FOB was, then I see you haven't mentioned your vehicle.

Why don't you update your "Vehicle Details" as follows:

Click on your Avatar/icon at top-right, go into “Account Settings”, then “Vehicle Details” and enter something like the following:

2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 170.5k miles

That’s my Nox: year, make, model, trim, engine, front-wheel drive (or all-wheel drive), and current miles on the odometer. This method puts this identifying information at the top of every post you make!

Don’t forget to SAVE your changes! It should show “Your changes Have Been Saved” If you're doing this on a mobile device, you may have to scroll to the bottom to tap "SAVE" and see the "Your Changes Have Been Saved" message posted.

——-
There is also “Signature” which will put this information at the bottom of every post. I use both, but I think if you use one over the other ... the top is better ... more visible.

=======
Speaking of FOBs, I'm performing surgery on one of mine right now (2011 Equinox, so 11 years old) ... transplanting the old guts into a new shell.

Both of my Equinox FOBs actually need to be transplanted (all buttons have fallen out on both now), but I started with this "original" one because I thought it was dead! I had been using it for at least a year sticking a 2nd key into the UNLOCK hole to press the button on the circuit board ... but sometimes had to do this in inclement weather. Eventually it quit working.

But lo and behold - just before starting the surgery, I pointed it out the window at the vehicle and it worked!! I was surprised!

Opening these FOBs up is a bit of a PITA! Someone on the Equinox Forum used a Dremel (seemed kind of extreme to me at first, but maybe it's actually the best way to go). I just used a sharp razor blade to cut the very strong glue (?) used to put the two halves together ... but that wasn't easy ... and if you're not very careful, you could easily slice your fingers open. I'm happy to report no injuries, but haven't put it back together yet. I also didn't hammer out the pin (yet). Didn't have a punch small enough. So I just removed the whole mechanism intact (spring and all), but maybe it won't fit just right in the new case? The circuit board fits precisely, so I'm hoping its the same for the key/mechanism. We'll see ...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts