Impala Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Impala Limited LT. 3.6L Engine. No mods. Bought used (rental) with 46,000 Mi, now had 90,000
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upon tracking my oil loss more closely, it is not as bad as I first thought. Also, while the used car market prices are up like 40%, even the new car prices are up like 10-20% because of "Market Adjustments" by dealers. And unless you are getting a Tesla, you have to go through a dealer to get a new car. If you can get a car at MSRP, then that is considered a bargain right now.

So I will just cross my fingers that any drivetrain issues occur over the next 90 days of my extended warranty, and beyond that I will be doing everything short of chewing gum and super glue to keep my current vehicle running til the vehicle market normalizes.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
2004 LS 3.8, 2007 SS 5.3
10 Posts
I think you're making a good decision. Do your best to keep it rolling. Since you're able to purchase a car is why no put that money into your Impala? In other words, take the money you were prepared to spend on a new/used car and invest it into your Impala. Go all in to make it reliable, efficient, ... Trans flush, coolant flush, fuel filter, coil packs, detail it (including under the hood), new tires. Then maybe a couple cool upgrades like swap out one of the lighter plugs with a USB port, new floor mats. I can go on and on.

You see what I'm suggesting. Can you make the car feel "new" again. Revive it to enjoy it? Hell it may not be worth is, I understand that so I'm honestly just asking. You know your car best.

·
Registered
2002 Impala 3.4L V6 LT FWD 243.1k miles
321 Posts
@VladThe : I applaud your choice to hold onto your vehicle and continue driving it, but I have no idea what kind of Impala you're talking about. And sure - you have 337 posts, and I can search the Forum for one where you happened to mention what you own, but why not take a few minutes right now and do what @ellist has done so well so there is no longer any mystery:

1.) Click on our Avatar at top right
2.) Go to "Account Settings"
3.) Choose "Vehicle Details"

And enter your YEAR, MAKE, MODEL, ENGINE SIZE, TRIM LEVEL, and current mileage.

Mine appears as: 2002 Impala 3.4L V6 LT FWD 242k miles

NOTE: if you do this on a mobile device, you may have to scroll to the very bottom before tapping the SAVE button. In any event, make sure you see "YOUR CHANGES HAVE BEEN SAVED" (or they won't be).

And yeah, I know the MAKE and MODEL are implied, but it just looks better with all the information there. It would really be nice if everyone did this so people answering questions don't have to ask the extra question, "please give us your vehicle details".

Thanks! And good luck with whatever it is you're driving!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Upon tracking my oil loss more closely, it is not as bad as I first thought. Also, while the used car market prices are up like 40%, even the new car prices are up like 10-20% because of "Market Adjustments" by dealers. And unless you are getting a Tesla, you have to go through a dealer to get a new car. If you can get a car at MSRP, then that is considered a bargain right now.

So I will just cross my fingers that any drivetrain issues occur over the next 90 days of my extended warranty, and beyond that I will be doing everything short of chewing gum and super glue to keep my current vehicle running til the vehicle market normalizes.
Yes the prices on a used car are a few thousand higher now. I bought my 2012 Impala LTZ two years ago and got a pretty good deal. Not now. My brothers 2004 Impala with over 200k on it is going strong other than a few issues that I was able to fix for him. But I know he will be looking in a couple years unless a major issue happens.

·
Registered
2016 Impala Limited LT. 3.6L Engine. No mods. Bought used (rental) with 46,000 Mi, now had 90,000
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Added car info to profile. Many factors unique to my family are going into car situation possibly being in flux soon. Money (both my own fiscal situation and the car market), personal mechanical ability and convenience of a reliable vehicle, single vehicle family means a more utilitarian vehicle that can tow and/or has more storage. Finally, MPG considerations, the continuing advancement of electric tech, and the fact that 95% of my daily driving is under 20 miles a day is making a PHEV or regular hybrid. Which then brings me back to financial because of increased cost of PHEV, but I almost make enough now to make the electric tax credit an actual consideration in the mix of everything. The extreme used discount on my car due to it being a rental and a Limited was awesome and made this a perfect interim vehicle. Can't complain given the risk of it being a rental and all. Wish I had the room and finances to just keep an aging car just because it is really fun to drive and fascinating to learn to work on for minor issues.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
2002 Impala 3.4L V6 LT FWD 243.1k miles
321 Posts
Added car info to profile.
Thanks for adding the Vehicle Details ... that looks great! Now if we can get @Huck/// to do the same (see Post #3 above for instructions), we'll have a "perfect thread" with everyone's Vehicle Details listed!

Good luck with the 2016! Every vehicle is "aging", but a 2016 isn't an "old" car, BTW. I've still got my '89, '97', and 2002 vehicles. Now those are old!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts