Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me start by saying I am a 24 year old male. I have very bad credit (400's) and I am in the process of filing bankrupcy as I have no choice since I was laid off and just got too far behind on my credit cards to a point where I cannot recover. My car insurance expires on the 17th and I may not have money to pay it. My car payment is due shortly after that and my car has a On-Time device which shuts my car off from being driven.

A few months ago (before I was laid off) I bought a 2004 Chevy Impala (basic, nothing fancy) from a local buy-here pay-here dealership (as my credit was bad) I took the car for a short test drive and it seemed to drive OK. The dealership told me the car was in a small accident but nothing major and he showed me the carfax. I got the car and started driving it to/from work. After a few weeks, I noticed the following problems:

1. Transmission Problems
2. Truck/Hood hard to shut
3. Loud Grinding/Squeaking sound when braking and/or turning
4. Bad Shocks (car scrapes the ground all the time on speed bumps, etc)
5. Gas or Fluid smell (I smell it when starting sometimes or idleing sometimes)
6. Some under-hood damage
7. Drivers seatbelt broken (not bolted to floor, bolt by door is very stripped)
8. LOTS of cosmetic problems (broken vents, CD player broken, burn marks on steering wheel and seat, no trunk light, burned out LEDs on doors, burned out lights in back seat, etc)
9. It has over 100,000 miles (not a problem, but still)

I paid $8998 or so for this. I put $3500 down, so I owe around $5000 or so on it. Monthly payments of $280 for 36 months at 22% APR.

Now, I had a aunt, and a cousin which got a car from this same dealership shortly before I got mine from them. Shortly after I got mine, they turned their cars back in because they also had problems with theirs. From my understanding, the dealership doesn't "repo" it, they just take it back and sell it again.

My question is... should I turn my car in as well? It just seems to have too many problems for how much I am paying. If I turn it it, I will borrow a family car and eventually buy a used car and pay cash once I get back on my feet.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
10. Steering Column Rod bad (popping sound when turning)
11. Tie rod's have slight play
12. Worn out tires

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
It seems that you need more work done to this car than you can afford right now. I have dealt with what I call "Junk Note Lots" before (yes I am refering to the dealer which you got this car from as one) and they are not great places to buy cars from. Generally what you pay down on the car is what the car cost them, and what you pay over the next what-ever-months is gravy in their pockets. Their cars are generaly well worn out, not to say that an Impala with over 100K is worn out but yours obviously lacked proper maintenance and was abused.

I would let the car go back and find a better deal else where.

Now the next car I would make arrangements with a good mechanic and have that person do a pre-buy on it. Basicly they will do a general check up of the car and let you know of their findings and tell you if they think the car is a good or bad deal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
damn sorry about your luck. i feel you on the trans problems, mines going out. seems to be a common problem on newer impalas. you are probably better off trying to get financed through somewhere (even with bad credit). i am always leary of those types of sketch car shops. hope it all works out

·
Banned
91 Posts
sorry about your luck... i hope things get better for you... but it looks like you got a lemon car. if i were you no matter how much i love my impala i would take it back. if you are having that many problems with it and having a tough time with money its just not worth all the headaches that you have with it let me tell you. my car was also in an accident, but it was when i had it... it drove strange for about a month now until i could have one of my shop teachers fix it for me... but all mine needed was an alignment, and a new strut on the passenger's side. i would sell the car back to the lot you got it from and buy yourself something nice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts