Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some painting of the grill and had it removed when I decided to ride to the auto parts store . because I saw a small leak under the car which has never been there before .

I have had the car sitting for three days... I think it began leaking brake fluid on passenger front side . So I strapped my hood down and rode to the store . The leak stopped..... ANY IDEAS ??? I am thinking may be the o-ring dried from sitting for days, and then got revived after I drove....

But on the way back from the auto parts store, the hood flew up, and smashed the windshield .......:bang:

I am going to get the new windshield tomorrow, but.... I need a new hood . This would be the perfect time to upgrade . Does anyone know where the cheapest/best place to get a lighter hood, or one with a hood scoop ???

I appreciate the help ! Things could have been MUCH WORSE !

·
The F*** Killer
1,592 Posts
^X2! I don't think they make any aftermarket hood for our 8th gen Impala.

·
Designated Driver
4,516 Posts
Does anyone know where the cheapest/best place to get a lighter hood, or one with a hood scoop ???

I appreciate the help ! Things could have been MUCH WORSE !
I've found places for stock hoods = $235+ship

Or you could always jump up to this... MPD motorsports performance design – Impala Ram Air Hood 2006/07

And yes, thank goodness it wasn't worse..! :clap:

Btw if you don't mind me asking... What speed caused it to take flight?
I've seen people on the hwy sometimes with their hood a floppin', and I would be amazed that it hadn't taken off! :dunno:

·
The F*** Killer
1,592 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
If you don't find an aftermarket hood you can afford, locate a solid used hood locally, they are everywhere :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses, I am going to check the fluids this morning . I was only going maybe 35, since I knew it wasn't all the way strapped down . I am also amazed it didn't go all the way over the car . It broke both hinges and bent backwards, any faster and it would have for sure flipped and hit the car behind me .

I was hoping someone had a cheap carbon fiber or lightweight hood, oir even one with a scoop instead of paying full price . otherwise, ima look for a new or used stock one .

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I think there is some confusion going on here, this is your B-body caprice correct?

Reactions: CinRed

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IT IS A B BODY, sorry, my avatar will not change, and I cant change my signature for some reason .... any ideas on why I cant update my profile ?

I am having windshield replaced right now . Ill ride without a hood unless it rains lol, I got a tarp for night time .

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Couldn't tell you... But one of us mods can change it if you let us know what you want.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Wow you indeed got lucky. Could have been much worse but, could have been prevented too by removing the hood entirely. No damage to the roof? I would personally just try to find one on craigs. I wouldn't be dumping $800+ into a hood when you have 2 other projects going.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
VFN has a reasonably priced bolton lightweight fiberglass stock looking hood. Well maybe I shouldn't comment on price since I haven't looked in years, but at one point they did a GP and it was only $300 and ballpark half the weight of stock.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the responses, I DEFINETELY CANT PAY $1000 for a hood . Preferably, I would like to find a great priced hood WITH a SCOOP, or made of lightweight material .

Until then, If I come across a great priced stock hood, I may not be able to pass it by . I just liked how my car was all white, and looked well put together .

P.S. I love riding without a hood, lightweight, cold air, and show off the LT1 with ORANGE accents to show I mean business :eek:k3:

I am scared of rain, it has not rained yet, I have a tarp I put over the engine at night, but will be pricing car covers today .

IF ANYONE COMES ACROSS A GOOD PRICED LIGHTWEIGHT HOOD< OR STOCK HOOD WITH A SCOOP, I MAY BE INTERESTED, PLEASE LET ME KNOW !!!:eek:k3:

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Thanks for all the responses, I DEFINETELY CANT PAY $1000 for a hood . Preferably, I would like to find a great priced hood WITH a SCOOP, or made of lightweight material .

Until then, If I come across a great priced stock hood, I may not be able to pass it by . I just liked how my car was all white, and looked well put together .

P.S. I love riding without a hood, lightweight, cold air, and show off the LT1 with ORANGE accents to show I mean business :eek:k3:

I am scared of rain, it has not rained yet, I have a tarp I put over the engine at night, but will be pricing car covers today .

IF ANYONE COMES ACROSS A GOOD PRICED LIGHTWEIGHT HOOD< OR STOCK HOOD WITH A SCOOP, I MAY BE INTERESTED, PLEASE LET ME KNOW !!!:eek:k3:
I wouldn't trust people at work to leave my car without a hood. Thats just asking for people to steal your battery or worse. I would check out the hood dwayne is talking about.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
VFN had one with a scoop too and I think they were one of the cheaper companies.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm gonna look at vfm for their hood . but what about a plexiglass cover...... Has anyone ever done it ? It would only need a slight bend if any and could be bolted or slid into a groove.......

I love not having a hood ! It hasn't rained yet and I bought a weatherproof cover .

Maybe I could buy another cover and cut the front off and attach it somehow to the car if I have to drive in rain ?????? A

Any ideas ???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts