Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys like the title says I just purchased myself an 03. Come to find out the damn thing has a seazed AC compressor. I don't go around calling myself a mechanic, but I'm going to give it a shot. Anybody have some advice as to what I'm up against, or where I might find a good deal on a new compressor? I've never been a memember of one of these forum groups but I look forward to meeting everybody. Thanks ahead for any help
Josh

·
Registered
13 Posts
AC

I do almost all my own work (successfully so far) but have not replaced a compressor. I would suggest you pick one up at AutoZone, install it, then take your 03 in to have the lines purged/vacuum pulled and refrigerant replaced.
If you have a friend that can purged the system - that would be great.

Be neat, be patient.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Welcome to the Impala Forum. You can get a good deal on a AC compressor at you local auto parts store. Call your favorites and ask for their price, also be sure to change the Dryer, Expansion Valve and ask if their are any other parts to change. Most places will not warranty the compressor unless certain other components are changed, this practice is not uncommon and should be followed.
Now while you are there get a Chilton's Repair manual and use it to help you.
You may need to see if any of the auto repair places will recover the R-134 refrigerant out of the car before you open the system up. It has to be drained or it could blow a line as you start removing the hoses from the compressor and cause you a freeze burn to your hand or more, not fun or safe.
After you change all of the parts for the AC system, DON'T FORGET THE OIL for the compressor, that will need to be put in before the compressor is mounted, ask the parts house for the proper oil, there is a specific type for AC systems.
Next you will have to get a good vacuum pump from the parts house (you should be able to rent one) and a set of AC R134 Gages Connect the gages up and hook the yellow line to the vacuum pump, plug the pump in and draw a -15 to preferably -30 inches of vacuum and hold the vacuum for about 30 minutes, do ask the parts house on how to operate the gages.
Now shut off the gages and then the pump and leave the gages for about 1 hour, if no change in the low pressure/vacuum reading then you are now ready to start refilling the AC system.
If you need more help please feel free to send me a PM.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts