Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Bought this car from someone that was going to scrap it over a leaking oil cooler. They were told a new oil cooler would be about $400, and the labor would be close to that as well, coming up to about a $1000 repair bill. The pull-a-part was offering $250, so that's what I got it for.

I bypassed the oil cooler by removing the sandwich adapter from the oil filter adapter, and drove it away. Super easy to do, if anybody ever needs to do this.

Had it for about 5 days now. So far, I've added 16" rim beauty rings, police hubcaps, new headlights, and worked on the paint and interior.

DIY shift kit coming, along with other small improvements. I'll also be re-blacking the faded trim, painting the black rims gloss black, and adding tint. I've used this site a couple of times already for information, so I thought instead of being a lurker, I'd drop by and say thank you.

Anyone that's looking for headlights, I highly recommend these. Found them on ebay for a steal, but was afraid they'd look cheap. But they look fine to me. They're the ones that have the Z shaped DRL lights.

View attachment 146165

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,404 Posts
Welcome! :beer: Love the color!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

I've had someone message me, and ask how I bypassed the oil cooler. For the sake of future forum searches, I will explain briefly. Not too much info on how to do this.

-Remove the oil filter
-Remove the nut on the end of the threads that the oil filter screws into. This will remove the thread extension that goes through the oil cooler sandwich assembly.
-Then the oil cooler adapter will be able to be moved and zip-tied out of the way, or removed completely.
-Re install filter

It's that simple and all you have to do is remove one nut. It'll be really obvious what I'm talking about once you do it.

-----------------

Anyway! The car has been fantastic, and has been a real score. Daily driving since the first post. Cheers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts