Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently GM hasn't given up on the concept...who knows, maybe it will happen after all, last I heard, mandated regs made it impossible, but I guess not..

According to a recent report, Chevrolet is considering an El Camino revival.

While nothing has been approved, GM vice president Mark Reuss stated that increasing gas prices has Chevrolet looking at the possibility of offering a lighter, car-based pickup like the Holden Ute. He added, "I've lived in Australia and I've seen where fuel prices are $5 a gallon. Lots of tradesmen will use a ute with a tray on the back to do lots of different things. They don't need the bandwidth of a big pickup truck."

No time frame was given, but it seems likely that GM would wait to launch the model until the redesigned Commodore / Ute is unveiled in 2013 or 2014.

Read more: Chevrolet El Camino comeback possible - report

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
That is one AWESOME looking pickup truck/sportscar. Im gonna start saving right now.

What kind of engine would it be? V6 or a small V8? The Camaro engine/driveline would fit right in... lol

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It'd prolly start with a V6 and end up with a V8, there was an SS version when it was first conceived, reasonable to assume it'd get an LS3 at some point, but like I've said before and don's posting says, it's highly unlikely....there's a site you can go to with a petition floating around you can sign online to try to persuade them to do it.. If you Tweet or Face, then you can jump on the bandwagon....I don't do social media so I can't direct you any farther.....

Is IF a social media?? I hope not, I pride myself on not Facing, Tweeting, or Spacing etc etc etc

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Dont really get how big this vehicle is.

If its like a small pickup it would possibly be immensly popular in europe if fitted with a diesel(and a lid or "camper" style back).
If like mid size truck it would probably work in US/Can if ppl can get used to smaller trucks. Its in the time, but still the big ones I guess have an advantage - price,utility. For this to work, you need a market - or create a market...

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ummmm...it's car based, so like a full size sedan, except instead of a back seat and trunk, it'd be a truck bed, but like I said before, there are already small trucks here, the chevy colorado and gmc canyon, so I think it would fail miserably here...the only reason the colorado and canyon aren't doing better is cause the inline 5 cylinder gets crappy mpg's compared to the perception of such an engine should get..I think it gets like 18 or so when it should be in the 24 range with something that small, at least that's how I view it..

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
In my mind Colorado/Canyon are big trucks. But I come from a different place... :lol:

The would-be camino could have an advantage in it NOT being that high, have a sleaker more pass.car feeling. Wind res. lower = better mileage. Many (all?) european car manufacturers have these kind of small pickups/vans and they are immensly popular among small businesses. If I check the Swedish Chevy site, they do not offer such vehicle, but Opel, being a GM-company already does. So, I dont know. Id say the market is kinda nonexisting right now.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's not a big truck.....THIS is a big truck *In my best Crocodile Dundee voice*

God I hope they make this....this is a concept truck they debuted this year....I'd literally kill for one of these

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
The Canyon/Colorado suck because they are as old as the damn Impala! They are old, unaccomodating, and have like no amenities

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
BTW, there's an article on GMI about that Sierra and how they are making it, IIRC.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
my dad had an El Camino (I forget what year) but that truck/car/thing was pretty cool, I remember- couldn't haul anything, but when it hauled nothin', it was haulin' ass lol

I think I could dig a revival though- that'd be cool.

As far as trucks go, all realism aside, I always liked the heavy duty pick ups- it was always the RAM, Silverado, or (not as often) an F150 on my mind. I hate small pickups like the ranger and the dakota with a bed that's a freakin' FOOT DEEP... But an El Camino.... now that's different lol

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Maybe work as a cheaper model if youre not hauling alot. Small businesses. Delivery companies. Hard time thinking itll work in US though. Maybe if there will be a sudden change of mentality. Doubt that though. Though... I read somewhere that (I think it was anyway) Chevrolet had sold more cars than trucks the last months. An almost revolutionary change in sales. Maybe an opening for a ElCamino type of pickup?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I thought the Holden Ute was an SSR? My grandpa had a 96 S10 that he bought brand new, that thing was quite a truck for being a little guy. It would go just about anywhere and haul just about anything, and got pretty decent mileage doing it.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hah! it was gonna be a pontiac, then it went to GMC, now it's killed, there's no market....subaru makes one, called a baja, I think they sell like 3 a year, no one in this country wants one!

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
^ I see them around here frequently enough, and also the older model the "brat".

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
And Ford cancelled thei small Ranger. For US. New one will be only eu, latin amerca an asia. The old(current is ugly as hell) but the new one looks awesome. What Im ranting about is that maybe theres no market for a medium size truck in US.

There is one Camino here in the little village near. Hell probably sell that soon. Seen him fixing it forever now, dont think he has money to do it right. Maybe should buy that one. But they are small. The Caprice has more Mexican traffic friendly features: Big ass steel bumper, bulletproof from factory - small arms fire, (Im joking but the steel is thick) And a way to explain without words: Move over or get run over.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Hey, the caprice can withstand an angled shot from a .22! Probably...

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Hey, the caprice can withstand an angled shot from a .22! Probably...
I completely believe that. And anyway if it gets in, its enough to wear a t-shirt to not even get a bruise... haha

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
I should really try it though. Ill ask my friend C, he has different caliber guns in his closet. The interior needs to be changed soon anyway. lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts