Impala Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2012 Impala LTZ with 189K from Copart. I won it for $675, it was totaled for undercarriage damage. Just needs some plastic shielding replaced and a small gash in the metal repaired. Seems to be in decent shape otherwise. Pretty sure it needs a new power steering pump. It whines pretty loud and the power steering fells a little sluggish. I feel a small vibration when stopped in drive, but not in reverse. Seems fine in drive when it’s not stopped. Any ideas on what that could be? Needs a hell of a detail and some fresh fluids, but I think I did pretty good! Thoughts? Let me know what some common issues are and things to look out for. Thanks.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Sounds like a decent deal. I think you are on the right track with putting new fluids in it. I would also recommend taking the throttle body apart and cleaning it. Clean out the MAF sensor with the appropriate cleaner. That can cause a slight stumble in drive when not moving (at least that I've noticed) that feels like a bit of vibration. You could also do an intake/valve cleaner. Not too many known issues with the car that are of any big concern. Some people say valve coking is an issue (I haven't heard of it too much with these cars though). The only other things I can think of are all easy maintenance items that you see on most gm vehicles (wheel bearings, blend door actuators, door lock actuators) that can been tackled as issues arise.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a decent deal. I think you are on the right track with putting new fluids in it. I would also recommend taking the throttle body apart and cleaning it. Clean out the MAF sensor with the appropriate cleaner. That can cause a slight stumble in drive when not moving (at least that I've noticed) that feels like a bit of vibration. You could also do an intake/valve cleaner. Not too many known issues with the car that are of any big concern. Some people say valve coking is an issue (I haven't heard of it too much with these cars though). The only other things I can think of are all easy maintenance items that you see on most gm vehicles (wheel bearings, blend door actuators, door lock actuators) that can been tackled as issues arise.
Thanks for the info! Really helpful. I’m considering putting new door lock actuators and power window motors in it, the actuators are super loud and the motors are pretty slow and they whine. I’m expecting it to need wheel bearings. I might test drive it a little more today. I was pleasantly surprised to not hear the blend door actuator having a seizure. Seems like every 06-13 Impala does that at some point.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Does this car take DexCool antifreeze?
From the factory, yes. I would look to see what is in it. If its still got the dexcool (orange) in it, then put that back in it. If it has the more universal green type, I would put that back in it. Wouldn't go about mixing the two. If you do a full system flush, put whatever you want.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a question, I noticed with some GM vehicles when you shut the door with the keys in the ignition it honks fast three times. Is there a way to enable that feature for my car? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Iirc, your '12 will just unlock if key is in the ignition. May check the owners manual or mess with the DIC to see if you can change features.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took it for a pretty long test drive this afternoon. In Mexico, of course lol. It needs a brake job and power steering pump and some maintenance items but other than that it seems to run and drive pretty good!

·
Super Moderator
18,496 Posts
Thanks! I like your 2012 LT. Are those aftermarket exhaust tips? They look good.
I actually forgot where I got them! It may have been Pep Boys. It is hard to find 2 matching tips anywhere! I got lucky this time! Check different auto parts stores....Or check online....Amazon may be a good place!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome abroad! I am also new on this forum... I want to buy an Impala too but not sure which one...Still thinking!
Thanks! Really just depends on your preference and how much you want to spend. The 2012 and 2013 models with the 3.6 and 6 speed as well as the 2014-2016 Impala Limited (which is the same exact car) are pretty powerful for what they are. The 06-09 Impala SS is pretty cool but the transmissions are like glass if they have over a 100K on them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts