Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must say I was really impressed with the Impala. I had one has a loaner at my local dealership and loved it. Anyways, we bought it for my wife. Ifs fully loaded minus leather. I wanted an Ltz, but when you have kids thats just like throwing money down the drain. Anyways I really want to start modifying it. I always do. Im thinking exhaust, cold air intake and programmer. Any suggestions I couldn't find much online. Its seems like CAI is something that you have to customize yourself. Please help I know im not first person to do these mods. If anyone from the Kansas city area is part of a impala club or something let me know. Sorry if my typing sucks I think faster than I can type. LOL

thanks again

brandon

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Welcome to the forum! FWI ( CIA) should be fairly easy and cheap. Exhaust can also be done cheap. Most of us on here go with Will from overkill motorsposts for tuned computers. While overkill doesn't currently offer it for the 3.6/6 speed auto, he is in the process of perfecting his tune and we should expect it to drop in the near future. Search for FWI on here for your intake.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Volume, your avatar floats my boat.

MY NAME IS EARL FTW!!!

Reactions: volume

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
welcome doc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Scotty I appreciate the info. Forums are such a great Idea. I wish I would of thought of them. Anyways what does FWI stand for. Maybe I rode the short bus to long. Also do think I will really see much power gains. I imagine before tune probably not much, but after I would think an extra 25-30 horses should manageable.

·
Registered
82 Posts
'FWI' stands for 'fender well intake'- it's an intake tubing design that places a cone air filter into the void between the outer and inner fender, where it's able to ingest colder, denser air then that which lives under the hood. These usually result in a small performance gain.

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your purchase! I absolutely love my '12 LT. The 3.6L/6A combination is spectacular.

There isn't much of an aftermarket for these cars yet. They ARE tuneable with HP Tuners, and they are choked down significantly from the factory. A light tune really woke mine up, even with no aftermarket/performance 'hard parts' installed. It's much more responsive then it was previously. Any local GM tuning shop should be able to take care of you- the user 'Overkill' on here is a VERY reputable GM V6 tuner and should be able to help you out shortly too.

I'd imagine that cold air intakes/fenderwell intakes will be coming out eventually for these cars, along with a cat-back exhaust option or two. Most mufflers shops should be able to weld in two 'performance' mufflers of your choosing (chambered, glass pack, Magnaflow, Borla, etc) too.

I guess in your shoes I'd start with the tune at this point. A tune and some Magnaflow mufflers would dramatically change the character of the car- it'd sound more aggressive and be responsive.

Reactions: SteveL1949
1 - 7 of 7 Posts