Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all. this is my first post.

the car: 2002 impala base model.
the good: 117k miles. 500 bucks. new transmission.
the bad: interior and exterior both look rough. a couple of dings, "almost" matching spray paint on front bumper, dirty interior. fogged headlights that may or may not need

this is my first chevy, and i couldn't pass up on the deal. my brother's neighbor, who owned the car, heard the engine "knocking" (drove for 50 miles today and the engine is damn near silent), bought a 2012 impala and was trying to sell the 02 asap. i had a mechanic buddy of mine check it out and he said it was good.

known issues-not repaired:
leaking oil pan gasket-oil changed in september, thats when the tech found the gasket. getting it done tomorrow. roughly 400-500 pats and labor.
new headlamps-really fogged up. not sure if the "toothpaste method" or polishing will help. aftermarket lamps are 180-250. i'll probably get an aftermarket grille and install both at once.

known issues-repaired:
full transmission replacement. transferable 3 year warranty (2 1/2years left). saw the receipt for ~$5,600...
unknown issue-??? i was hoping some of you guys could help me out with these. whats common

all in all, did i really get a good deal, or just a good deal for $500? i really want to get it painted/bondoed, but i'm not sure how much a paint job will cost.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think you did fine. I have a 2000 base with 223,000 miles. I have the original trans., and it had the slip issue many miles ago, still does at full boogie, but we just drive it. We have had the car since new in the family, and the "major" would be the lower intake gasket when it fails, at about $800 if done professionally.

For mine, I have replaced rear shocks/struts as springs broke from a heavy load, tie rods for steering, wheel bearings, some hoses, brakes a few times, tires, many power window switches and small electrical items that are cheap, radio, and that's about it that I can recall.

It has hit 2 deer, T Boned another car, and it is still running fine. They are tanks. You will hear ticking in the 3.4 upon start up from the lifters at times, this may be the sound thy call knocking.

I think you have a good 100,000 miles to go at minimum. This, and dollar/value was why we purchased 2 more Impala's.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i bought mine for $500. 2003 impala base mod 3.4 with 208k miles. mine had many issues since the person before me never maintained the car. i did a wheel bearing, tie rod ends, brakes and rotors, radiator, trans filter and fluid, oil change. i bought ls wheels because the steelies are hideous. i also went along and did the lower intake manifold gasket myself which cost me $60 at orielys. i did it in a day. easy if you are mechanically inclined. i also replaced the strait pipe in the exhaust. i have now about $980 into it and now have around 230k. the trans acts up when you start out in first and sometimes in reverse till the pressure builds up. i just gas on it and go. been very reliable minus that stupid security pass lock crap. and that low tire pressure light pisses me off because my tires are not low and you can not disable the abs ....... otherwise yes it gets around 28 mpg and i drive it just about anywhere. id even get another one if i could. great family car. bigger than my 04 neon

·
Hazardous Materials
23 Posts
i bought my 2002 LS loaded 3.8 with sunroof for $800.00 car has 162,000 miles on it.

it needed a front headlight and battery to get running. has some body work needed but it gets me back and forth to work so i can park the alcoholic diesel truck i have :beer:

i still need to do the UIM AND LIM gaskets water pump and valve cover gaskets but its a solid car

·
Banned
667 Posts
hello all. this is my first post.

the car: 2002 impala base model.
the good: 117k miles. 500 bucks. new transmission.
the bad: interior and exterior both look rough. a couple of dings, "almost" matching spray paint on front bumper, dirty interior. fogged headlights that may or may not need

this is my first chevy, and i couldn't pass up on the deal. my brother's neighbor, who owned the car, heard the engine "knocking" (drove for 50 miles today and the engine is damn near silent), bought a 2012 impala and was trying to sell the 02 asap. i had a mechanic buddy of mine check it out and he said it was good.

known issues-not repaired:
leaking oil pan gasket-oil changed in september, thats when the tech found the gasket. getting it done tomorrow. roughly 400-500 pats and labor.
new headlamps-really fogged up. not sure if the "toothpaste method" or polishing will help. aftermarket lamps are 180-250. i'll probably get an aftermarket grille and install both at once.

known issues-repaired:
full transmission replacement. transferable 3 year warranty (2 1/2years left). saw the receipt for ~$5,600...
unknown issue-??? i was hoping some of you guys could help me out with these. whats common

all in all, did i really get a good deal, or just a good deal for $500? i really want to get it painted/bondoed, but i'm not sure how much a paint job will cost.
hope you got the pink slip?

TYC headlights for $100 for a pair of them on ebay.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
You got a super good deal!! Worst comes worst that trans is worth at least 3 times what you paid for the whole car. Remanufactured 4t65e transmissions go for $2k plus. You could part out the car and get at least 6-8 times your money although it will take labor and time to do so. Yes they have passlock issues but, most of the time it is due to the ignition switch/cylinder ($150 max). If you are going to continue to drive it:

1. Flush coolant system and replace thermostat and coolant with prestone
2. Apply dielectric grease to all electrical connectors
3. Replace oil and filter (obv)
4. Do either a seafoam or fuel system cleaner
5. Check front bank spark plugs (gap them and check for damage) if bad, replace all plugs and wires (if necessary)
6. Replace fuel filter and air filter

If your not going to keep it, your best bet is to part it out. Things worth money if not damaged:

1. Transmission
2. Dash and gauge cluster
3. Engine block
4. Tail lights
5. Engine mounts
6. Steering assembly
7. much more but, the above are the majors

·
Registered
48 Posts
A running 7th Gen with "ONLY" 117+K and a new transmission ... for $500? I think you got a hell of a deal. 4T65E be damned, they are great cars.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
You got a hell of a deal, hope to see you driving around Manassas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts