Impala Forums banner

21 - 40 of 781 Posts

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I think if you were to leave them on, you should paint/dip the center bar that it mounts to black. That would look a lot better IMO

Agreed! I did exactly that after I painted my grill. Peeking through the grill and seeing the gray plastic got old very quick.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Anyone have any other suggestions for future mods? I'm kinda stuck at this point trying to decide what to do next (besides Overkill tune). I'm hesitant to try yet another set of aftermarket headlights since I was so disappointed with the first two sets I tried (mainly due to fitment and condensation issues).

I will say that I absolutely LOVE the chrome trim that I added to the inside of the doors. Between the chrome trim and the woodgrain dashkit pieces, the door look SO much better than they did originally (which was just a wall of black plastic). I really wish I had some good before/after shots to show the difference.

Just trying to figure out what to do next! As you can see, I very much like to keep the car looking stock'ish, while at the same time "enhancing" things a little. I'm not into "over the top" mods - just small mods that improve upon the stock design. It's actually pretty amazing how much time, effort and money I've spent doing the mods I've done so far - and most non-Impala owners would probably never even notice any of them (although, I guess that's also a good thing since the mods look like the car came that way)! :)

Thoughts?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Go Get It
15,066 Posts
How about doing the spaced out lettering on the trunk? I always thought that looked very classy, and looked like it COULD be OEM

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That is a good idea. I'm a little up in the air about it though. Typically, I don't like trying to remove emblems that came on the car and I have a feeling that my OCD would kick in and it would never be "just right". I really do like the way it looks though - just not sure that I would be able to do a good enough job of it to keep me happy! Will definitely add that to my list of possible mods though - thanks @RYD!

I would also love to get a new set of wheels, but that is a little pricey. Since I just bought new, rather expensive tires, I would need to stay @ 17". In my mind, the perfect set of wheels would be the classic chrome Cragar wheels (the original style from wayback). If anyone knows of any like that that are relatively inexpensive and would fit properly, please don't hesitate to chime in! :)

Thanks again for the suggestion, @RYD - it's definitely something to consider.

·
Go Get It
15,066 Posts
I think that if you used your OCD while you were doing it, it would come out perfect. But it's something that would take the better part of a day, despite how "minor" of a mod it is, because you have to make sure all of your measurements are exactly right, taking into account the width of the letters and keeping the spacing between the center of each letter equal.

As for the wheels, are you referring to this style?

If so, the Mustang has 17" wheels in that style, called "Bullit" wheels. The chrome ones are pretty hard to find though. Additionally, they have a 5x114.3 bolt pattern instead of a 5x115. The 5x114.3 will still bolt up, and shouldn't have any problems (I believe the center bore is even the same, but don't quote me on that), but it is something to consider.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yep - them are the wheels that I like!! All of the actual Cragar wheels that I saw seemed to have an offset of 0 though, so not sure if I could actually find genuine Cragar wheels for my car or not (have looked into it that much yet). There was another manufacturer that had similar looking wheels though - just can't remember the name offhand - will think of it and post it later.

I would *love* to find something like those used - but the chances of finding the right style, size, width and offset in good used condition is slim to none! :)

Will think about the Impala lettering. I know that other members have already done all of the hard work and posted the measurements, so I *should* be able to do it - just need to work up the courage to next! :)

·
Go Get It
15,066 Posts
Like I said, the Mustang wheels will probably be the most plentiful, and they WILL bolt right up with no fitment issues.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ok, thanks - I'll definitely look into those.

Just to confirm (from previous posts), I'm looking for wheels based on these values, correct (if I want to stick with me existing, factory-sized tires)?

Size: 17"
Bolt Pattern: 5x115mm (5x4.52") - but 5x114.3mm would also fit?
Offset: +35mm -> +42mm
Width: 7" -> 8"
Backspacing: ??
Center Bore: ??

Anything else that I need to pay attention to?

Thanks for any info you can offer!

·
Go Get It
15,066 Posts
Ok, thanks - I'll definitely look into those.

Just to confirm (from previous posts), I'm looking for wheels based on these values, correct (if I want to stick with me existing, factory-sized tires)?

Size: 17"
Bolt Pattern: 5x115mm (5x4.52") - but 5x114.3mm would also fit?
Offset: +35mm -> +42mm
Width: 7" -> 8"
Backspacing: ??
Center Bore: ??

Anything else that I need to pay attention to?

Thanks for any info you can offer!

Center core is 70.3

Backspacing is just a function of offset and width, so if you stay in those parameters, you'll be good.

Those wheels should fit, but I'd be weary of a price that low. You'd also need hub-centric rings for those wheels too. They do look realllly nice though :eek:k3:

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I've seen some REALLY nice chrome mustang wheels for pretty decent prices - thanks for mentioning that they would fit - they are very similar to the Cragar style that I like.

Regarding the hub-centric rings, what size would I need to buy if I moved forward with the mustang wheels?

These are the type of mustang wheels that I'm considering (although since I just bought an HP Tuner device, I'm most likely going to put the wheels off now and go for the Overkill tune first!):

EDIT: Hmm - just noticed that the offset is listed at 45mm for the one wheel type - so they wouldn't work at all?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
And this is basically the look I'm going for - this is from the CarID simulator app (which is AWESOME!) with American Racing wheels. The only problem is that these particular wheels (for example) are about $600 *each*! :)

Attachments

·
Go Get It
15,066 Posts
45mm offset should definitely work. it appears that the hub bore is 72, so you'd need hubcentric rings with an outer diameter of 72 and an inner diameter of 70.3

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Still looking into different wheels... I originally thought that my existing wheels were 7.5" wide, but they are actually 6.5" wide. So would a 8" wide wheel still work with 225/55R17 tires?

Here are the specs for my current wheels (assuming this is correct - these are for replicas):

12 2012 Chevrolet Impala Wheel Action Crash
Retail Price:
$609.00
Sale Price:
$135.73
Quantity:

(>12) In Stock
Product SKU: ALY05071U10N
Product Note: ALLOY WHEEL; 17 X 6.5; 47MM OFFSET; 5 DOUBLE SPOKES; 5 LUG; 115MM BP; NEW REPLICA; MACHINED WITH SILVER

The problem is that I kinda need to be 100% sure that 17", 8" wide wheels with a 45mm offset and a 114.3 bolt pattern will work before I actually order them! :)

Does anyone know of an easy way to check to see if a certain wheel will work with a certain car/tire combination? Again, this is really something that I need to be 100% sure of before ordering since we're talking about a lot of money here! :)

Thank you!

·
Go Get It
15,066 Posts
The 225 tire is probably a little skinny for an 8" wide wheel. I'd talk to your local tire shop about the potential fitment.

As far as the mustang wheels physically bolting up, many people have done it successfully. So I'm confident that you won't have any problems putting the wheels on the car. But the tires might be a little "stretched" in order to fit

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The 225 tire is probably a little skinny for an 8" wide wheel. I'd talk to your local tire shop about the potential fitment.

As far as the mustang wheels physically bolting up, many people have done it successfully. So I'm confident that you won't have any problems putting the wheels on the car. But the tires might be a little "stretched" in order to fit
Found a nice little chart that shows the max wheel width for different sized tires and it looks like 225/55R17 tires will work with an 8" wheel... Good news. I really like the Mustang wheels I posted above. At least now I know that they would work with my existing tires. Just may have to bid on them! :)

Here's the chart - pretty handy:

http://customwheelsmarket.com/rimwheelwidth1.html

·
Go Get It
15,066 Posts
Good info

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
So I found a really nice set of chrome Mustang Bullit wheels on Craigslist for a great price. Only issue is that they are +30 offset...

Anyone know if +30 offset wheels would work on an 8th gen? I have seen both +30 and +45 Bullit wheels, no really not sure if the +30's would work.

Thanks.

·
Go Get It
15,066 Posts
How wide are they?

21 - 40 of 781 Posts