Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my rear brake caliper but my driveway is about 8-10 degrees steep. Would it be safe to jack my car up and work on it if i trig the other 3 wheels? I wont be able to have the e brake engaged i dont think because i will have to loosen it to remove the cable from the caliper.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I need to replace my rear brake caliper but my driveway is about 8-10 degrees steep. Would it be safe to jack my car up and work on it if i trig the other 3 wheels? I wont be able to have the e brake engaged i dont think because i will have to loosen it to remove the cable from the caliper.
Never count on the e-brake when working on the car - always chock the opposite end or side of the car from where you're working. Sometimes, when jacking, the whole side or end will come off the ground, so it's important that the opposite corner is chocked. (See Tools thread here for some suggestions. Walmart has the ones I use.)

My driveway has a slope (shallow, not sure the angle, maybe 5-10°) and I've done lots of work there including dropping several sub-frames as well swapping a couple transaxles.

I use a good floor jack, and ALWAYS have a couple jack stands employed before I get under it.

One trick is to place the chocks then put the car in neutral, and let it roll onto the chocks. That takes the play out, which minimizes the side loading on the jack stands.

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
35 Posts
My first reaction is no.
Having said that, I've had my share of questionable repair locations in my life. Safety first.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I said:
My driveway has a slope (shallow, not sure the angle, maybe 5-10°) and I've done lots of work there including dropping several sub-frames as well swapping a couple transaxles.
Out of curiosity, I measured it - 3.5° - pretty mild. But I wouldn't want to go much steeper.

BTW, the measurement technique was to use a construction level to measure a 2.19" drop over a 36" run. arcsin(2.19/36)=3.5°.

Doug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts