Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Jason, people call me Red. I'm 29, from the Oregon coast, currently residing in Northeastern Nevada. My newest car added to my somewhat eclectic stable is a 1992 Buick Roadmaster Sedan.

About a Buick...

So for about 6 months I drove on the same road every day to work, and I saw this Roadmaster sitting in the parking lot of a hotel, covered in dust, missing the two front wheels, but straight(ish, looks like someone sat on the trunk)and almost decent paint and I wondered...

I wonder if I can get that.

So I talked to the hotel, and they said they hadn't seen or heard from the owner for nearly 6 months.

So I talked to a local tow company (many thanks guys) and they said that with the hotel manager's cooperation to sign the tow bill, they could tow it, impound it for 30 days, and seize the title.

Back to the hotel I go.

Great, they sign the bill, it gets towed and impounded, I pay all the bills, and roughly 2 months later I own a slightly rough Roadmaster with lots of potential.

Grand total...Drum roll please...

$213.50 USD

The bad news.

The door panels on the drivers side, front and rear are broken. The driver's rear window doesn't roll down. Or lock. The paint is all oxydized on the roof (it was a Texas car, more on that later). It has the stock wheels on the back, with one tire so flat it came off the rim unloading it off the flatbed, a 1/2 ton 2wd pickup tire and wheel on the front right and a random steel wheel on the front left, so flat it came off the rim unloading it off the flatbed (Deja vu?). A broken windsheild, and about the worst sun killed dash I've ever seen. Last but not least, the motor is stuck. Frozen solid. Like you took my ex-wife's heart out and touched it to the motor. Ok, maybe not that frozen...

The good news.

I've been working on cars since I was big enough to hold a wrench. Everything is fixable with enough time skills patience and money. Luckily since I work at a gold mine, all are fairly easy to come by. I just happen to have a 4bolt mains steel crank performance truck block with 882-1.94 pre smog (Don't tell Al Gore) heads and a mild cam and a gm "high performance" split plane intake manifold sitting in my storage unit.

Hmmm. Thinks I. It'll fit (with a little massaging, and a home made aluminum adapter plate to run the fuel injection (never get rid of your fuel injection, it's the best invention since The Car), and a fuel pump block off plate, and some manifold work to make the b-body distributor fit).

It's ok that the wheels needs replaced, I was going to do that anyway. Found a nice set of 60's looking rallye style steel wheels with center caps and trim rings at Les Schwab for pretty cheap (I don't like bling, and honestly anything bigger than about 18 inches is a total waste of money, plus it KILLS your performance, and looks retarded, and it's what I would call a muscle/cruiser/sedan, so they go good with my goal).

Hey, the trans is good. That's good. And the windows are already limo-tinted.

So I find out the story on it from the tow company. It was stolen out of texas by a mexican gentleman. Now before you get all riled up, read the next sentence or two. I know he was mexican because all his stuff was in it, including his visa papers from mexico, pictures of him and his family, receipts from sending money to mexico. I know a lot of mexican people, and in general they are more honest family oriented and hard working than most white people I know, so don't get too bent. It was then consequently abandoned when the motor froze.

His loss, my gain.

I got it in December...Shortly before it started snowing, and didn't stop until the snow was drifted over the roof (6 feet in some places on our meager 2.6 acres). I'll post pictures in a couple of days, I'm at work right now and don't have any handy. I haven't been able to work on it yet. The snow is finally melted, mostly, and work will begin soon. I'm planning, aiming, shooting, and working toward having her on the road before June 28. Convenient that, that's when I leave for vacation and drive all the way back to the Oregon Coast (most beautiful place in the world, btw.).

I will naturally put pics, posts, and general nonsense and trangressions on a regular basis, hopefully keeping them to short story length, rather than novel length as this one is.

I see I've left almost everything out.

So on a final note, I am looking for a set of shorty headers, driver's front and rear door cards, burgundy in color, and a trunk lid also burgundy in color, sorry i think it's Ruby Red Metallic, or some other such tripe. Burgundy (the lighter of the two) works for me.

So if anybody has a line on parts, a question, or a comment I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks for your time, and patience. Take care everyone.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Small update

Found a great deal the other day. There is a '68 or '69 (ish) Buick Lesabre at the local junk yard. I picked up a set of 7 inch wide 15 inch steel wheels off a full size van, and the VERY cool classic stainless steel hubcaps off the Lesabre. Put a set of Toyo 225/70-15 Sport-touring tires on it. Cheap shoes are good. The wheels cost me, ... $5 each. The very cool stainless classic buick hubcaps. I paid $3 per. Three dollars for original used, but very good condition, VINTAGE stainless steel caps. I am so very happy with that. Will be giving them a little freshening up. I'll post pics.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Little me.

This is how long I've been a motor head.

I don't remember the first day of first grade, but I remember that truck, and what we were fixing that day. IT's a black 69 2wd short wide with a 396 and a 4spd. We were changing the rear main and pan gasket.

·
Registered
211 Posts
cool story

I'd say welcome to the forum, but you've been here long before me

1 - 8 of 8 Posts