Impala Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...but I'm leaving for now. On our way to pick up pizza on Friday night before Christmas a car pulled out of a parking lot and slammed into the right front fender. Insurance came up with a $3300+ estimate and decided instead to give me a check for about $1800 and call it a day. While I enjoyed the car it was just my winter beater and I quickly replaced it with 2008 BMW 335xi, not my first choice but it's nicer, newer, way quicker and the small size and AWD should make it a better winter vehicle, and a good choice for a hand-me-down to John when he moves out. 7th Gen is my favorite without going back to a classic except for the big 90's SS which I wouldn't drive in the winter so for a future beater I might just be back in here.

·
Registered
461 Posts
...but I'm leaving for now. On our way to pick up pizza on Friday night before Christmas a car pulled out of a parking lot and slammed into the right front fender. Insurance came up with a $3300+ estimate and decided instead to give me a check for about $1800 and call it a day. While I enjoyed the car it was just my winter beater and I quickly replaced it with 2008 BMW 335xi, not my first choice but it's nicer, newer, way quicker and the small size and AWD should make it a better winter vehicle, and a good choice for a hand-me-down to John when he moves out. 7th Gen is my favorite without going back to a classic except for the big 90's SS which I wouldn't drive in the winter so for a future beater I might just be back in here.
Sorry to hear, I hope your doing well after that! But you don't have to completely disappear. I'm sure there's always some way you can contribute! And hey, if you got the money it's hard to turn down a beemer. '08 was a sweet looking year for the 335.

·
Super Moderator
10,954 Posts
That's too bad.
Sorry to see you leave.
You don't "HAVE TO" leave if you don't want to.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My summer daily driver is a '99 740i which I actually got for the same cost as the '00 Impala. The '08 335xi is the first car I needed a loan for since I bought a new Camaro in April of '92, but at about $10K out the door it's a small loan after I put down $3K. When you start looking at 10yo+ BMW's they are pretty inexpensive to purchase, the trick is picking a good one and maintaining it - that means a lot of time on BMW forums and the 335 will require a lot of it (suggest 2010 or newer for better reliability). I was born a Chevy guy though and still have an '05 Venture, I'm sure there will be at least one more Chevy in my future and with some luck it will be an Impala because this is a great forum. I'm staying subscribed to a number of threads so it really isn't totally goodbye but my visits will be rare.

Reactions: retiredpauly

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, forgot mention...there were three of us in the car and all are doing fine. The location and direction of the impact didn't even deploy any airbags. My 14yo daughter in the back seat was the most shaken up but she always has a high level of anxiety. It is a pretty sturdy car, still hoping to get a look at it since I didn't get the chance in the dark in the middle of the street before the police made us get out of the road.

·
Super Moderator
10,954 Posts
Good to know that you are all OK. I should have asked first off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts