Impala Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Was it a cloudy/sunny day there, by chance?

Or was it same sunlight radiation level?

Did the front headlights come on?

What happens when you use the dimmer switch?

And where was the car built? USA or Canada? The 1st # of the VIN would tell you.. 1 = usa, 2=canada.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Totally different assembly lines.
And still what relevance does it have with his problems ? I worked in Quality at Hamtramck Assembly for 15 years, and even though the line layout for Oshawa may be different, they use common assembly procedures. Manufacturing engineers create what is called a PAD or Product Assembly Document. It basically a set of assembly instructions, there is one for each work station in the plant. The do not write one for one plant, and one for another, they use common procedures. The parts all come from one supplier, unless more than one supplier was sourced because of capacity limitations (more common with trucks because of huge volume).

I can't exactly say what is causing all his problems, but if the dealer would put some serious effort into diagnosing his car they will most likely find a pinched harness somewhere (fairly common assembly issue). The dealer also has the ability to have somebody from GM engineering come and examine the vehicle if they can't resolve the issues. If the dealer has only driven the vehicle 1 mile, they haven't tried very hard. They need to use a Data event recorder in the vehicle and have somebody drive it for a few days (Service Manager can drive it home and back a few times during the week and attempt to capture an event.) It just seems that the dealer has not tried too hard, aside from a quick check with a Tech2. Not all failures cause codes to be stored, just the ones it is designed to detect.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
And still what relevance does it have with his problems ? I worked in Quality at Hamtramck Assembly for 15 years, and even though the line layout for Oshawa may be different, they use common assembly procedures. Manufacturing engineers create what is called a PAD or Product Assembly Document. It basically a set of assembly instructions, there is one for each work station in the plant. The do not write one for one plant, and one for another, they use common procedures. The parts all come from one supplier, unless more than one supplier was sourced because of capacity limitations (more common with trucks because of huge volume).

I can't exactly say what is causing all his problems, but if the dealer would put some serious effort into diagnosing his car they will most likely find a pinched harness somewhere (fairly common assembly issue). The dealer also has the ability to have somebody from GM engineering come and examine the vehicle if they can't resolve the issues. If the dealer has only driven the vehicle 1 mile, they haven't tried very hard. They need to use a Data event recorder in the vehicle and have somebody drive it for a few days (Service Manager can drive it home and back a few times during the week and attempt to capture an event.) It just seems that the dealer has not tried too hard, aside from a quick check with a Tech2. Not all failures cause codes to be stored, just the ones it is designed to detect.

They did have a tech (don't know if it was a GM engineer or not) come from outside the dealership...he's the one who said it's my iPod causing the issues. His reasoning was that the radio has a Microsoft OS and my iPod is Apple OS and that's the issue. I've asked the dealer to keep it and drive it for a week or 2 but they said they couldn't do that. I don't have another dealership close but I think I'm gonna definitely take it somewhere else to see if they can look at it. Probably gonna drive up to Toledo since my dad lives south of Monroe.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Was it a cloudy/sunny day there, by chance?

Or was it same sunlight radiation level?

Did the front headlights come on?

What happens when you use the dimmer switch?

And where was the car built? USA or Canada? The 1st # of the VIN would tell you.. 1 = usa, 2=canada.

Headlights come on as designed, it was pre-dawn so no lighting changes. Dimmer switch operates as designed...US car

·
Registered
51 Posts
The guy that told you that the i-Pod is causing all the problems is full of BS. MyLink is certified to be Apple and i-Pod/i-Phone compatible. This is stated on the MyLink website. Ford uses the Microsoft operating system, not GM. Per Wikipedia
MyLink systems are manufactured by two companies for GM, Panasonic for most MyLink models, and LG Electronics for the unit equipped on the Chevrolet Sonic, Chevrolet Spark, Chevrolet Trax, Buick Encore and Opel Adam. The system is based on QNX real-time operating system and voice recognition software from Nuance.
i-Pods/i-phones are compatible with quite a few operating systems, Microsoft being the largest base of them.

You should ask the dealer who this guy was and seriously questions his assessment. Ask for documentation to back up his assertions. I, personally think he has no idea what he is talking about in reference to the i-Pod causing all your issues.

I use a i-Pod Touch in my 2014 Impala and except for some features that GM did not implement very well (another long story) it works and has not caused any adverse issues.

·
Registered
568 Posts
And still what relevance does it have with his problems ? I worked in Quality at Hamtramck Assembly for 15 years, and even though the line layout for Oshawa may be different, they use common assembly procedures. Manufacturing engineers create what is called a PAD or Product Assembly Document. It basically a set of assembly instructions, there is one for each work station in the plant. The do not write one for one plant, and one for another, they use common procedures.
What if one plant is this caliber of employee?? :gaah:

https://www.google.com/search?q=chrysler+employees+drinking+on+the+job

·
Registered
51 Posts
What if one plant is this caliber of employee??
I hope it's not the case, and unless there many more cases like jah40's, I doubt it that it is. Both Hamtramck and Oshawa employee about 3000+ people each. There will always be a few like those guys that got caught at Chrysler. I think you will find that to be the case at every major plant, be it Ford, Chrysler or GM, Canada or USA. Do not let the actions of a few cloud your judgment. I worked at Hamtramck, Lake Orion and Lansing Assembly (Mostly Hamtramck) and in my travels I only ran into or heard of only a couple people like those guys. 99.9 percent of the people working in the plants are good workers and try their best to build the car properly, but no process is perfect.

In jah40's case, I still think the i-Pod argument is BS. The dealer has defiantly not put the time or effort to verify his problems. As for them not documenting the brake complaints, the dealer most likely is fearing that if nothing wrong is found, and they fail again, they will be held liable, and it will also count as one repair attempt in a Lemon Law case.

·
Registered
568 Posts
In jah40's case, I still think the i-Pod argument is BS. The dealer has defiantly not put the time or effort to verify his problems. As for them not documenting the brake complaints, the dealer most likely is fearing that if nothing wrong is found, and they fail again, they will be held liable, and it will also count as one repair attempt in a Lemon Law case.
This is the only ipod issue I've read about:

MyLink Stopped Recognizing iPod Classic | GM Authority

I guess it is possible - if you were cruising in manual mode in 5th or 6th and in a panic situation hit the accelerator instead of the brake - it would appear the brake isn't working. WOT isn't going to get you anywhere very fast depending on your speed.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
The dealership stating that the iPod is causing all of the problems with the radio is just silly and a completely uneducated excuse. If you can't use an iPod with a 2014 Chevy Impala, then they need to redesign the "infotainment system" in this vehicle!

Regarding the brakes not working, I'm wondering if the issue was really that the accelerator was "stuck" - since the gas pedals in newer cars are all electronic, it could be that there was some sort of electrical issue with the gas pedal and it just took much longer for the car to stop because it was actually accelerating at the same time.

Regardless, the dealerships responses are unacceptable. They should at least be driving the car around here and there during the day to see if they can duplicate these concerns. Simply saying that they are unable to duplicate repeated issues that the owner has experienced is unacceptable. All that they've have done is read the computer. It's like some technicians these days don't even know how to troubleshoot cars anymore - they rely on the computer to tell them everything - if the computer says it's fine then it must be fine! Ridiculous.

I'm all for technology, but not EVERYTHING on a car should be electronic! Just too much that can go wrong...

EDIT: do some new cars now have electronic braking systems as well (like drive-by-wire, but for brakes)? Or are all brake systems still mechanical in nature?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Regarding the brakes not working, I'm wondering if the issue was really that the accelerator was "stuck" - since the gas pedals in newer cars are all electronic, it could be that there was some sort of electrical issue with the gas pedal and it just took much longer for the car to stop because it was actually accelerating at the same time.
There is a lot of logic programmed for the drive by wire throttle systems., if there is any conflict, it is not supposed to work. This was a big topic with the Toyota unintended acceleration debacle. Nobody was ably to ever get a vehicle to accelerate unintentionally (from an electrical stand point) without bypassing many fail safes. This does not apply to the carpet causing the throttle to get stuck. But the systems are designed that if the throttle is engaged and the brakes are being applied at the same time that the brakes get priority (accelerator stops or is deactivated). They call this a Brake Override System. I think it is mandatory on drive by wire throttle systems.

do some new cars now have electronic braking systems as well (like drive-by-wire, but for brakes)? Or are all brake systems still mechanical in nature?
As for electric or drive by wire brakes, the manufacturers have been playing with it. From what I have read, only Mercedes and Toyota have used this on any vehicles, not sure if there are any production versions. Electric brakes are even trickier to design from a safety and fail safe operation stand point.

The Chevrolet Volt and probably the Cadillac ELR and some other electric vehicles use Regenerative braking in which mechanical power of braking is converted back to electric power to help with electrical consumption. The Volt/ELR also have a odd set up in which when the brake pedal is pushed, it uses the large electric motor to slow the vehicle down to a certain point and then the Hydraulic brakes take over. There were a lot of complaints at first because it had a different feel to it as it was transitioning from electric to Hydraulic braking.

Most vehicles still use traditional Hydraulic brakes with either 4 wheel disc or front disc/rear drum brakes.

All that they've have done is read the computer. It's like some technicians these days don't even know how to troubleshoot cars anymore - they rely on the computer to tell them everything - if the computer says it's fine then it must be fine! Ridiculous.
I most certainly agree !!

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
@OP - when you said your brakes didn't work, did the car eventually just come to rolling stop naturally or did the brakes help slow it down, just not nearly fast enough? Just trying to understand the exact situation a little better.

I do understand that they build "Failsafes" into the electronic drive-by-wire systems, but it sure sound like *something* failed in the OPs case - the way he describes it, the car kept accelerating even though he had his brakes applied at full pressure. At this point, I can't tell if the brakes were working, but the accelerator was working harder or if the brakes just didn't work at all. Since he mentioned that the transmission seemed to stay in gear, I'm guessing that the car was still accelerating even though he had the brakes fully applied. The only thing that I can think of that would cause that situation is some kind of stuck accelerator... That would make more sense than the brakes just not working at all.

Either way, VERY scary! I sure hope the OP gets to the bottom of it somehow....

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
This sounds a lot like the problems that Toyota has had with uncontrollable acceleration. Being able to stop your car safely is one of the most basic functions that a car should be able to do reliably. Too much electronics in a vehicle allows too many things that can go wrong. I will never buy another GM car again. Their quality is going down the crapper. It seems like all their cars are being recalled.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This sounds a lot like the problems that Toyota has had with uncontrollable acceleration. Being able to stop your car safely is one of the most basic functions that a car should be able to do reliably. Too much electronics in a vehicle allows too many things that can go wrong. I will never buy another GM car again. Their quality is going down the crapper. It seems like all their cars are being recalled.
Yes it does sound like the Toyota issue. The problem is that the Toyota issue was never proven. The only way it was re-created was to intentionally disable numerous fail safes in the computer. This would just not happen in the real world. Even NASA could not re-create or find an issue with it. GM, Ford, Chrysler and most others all use a similar system for the electronic throttle.

As for the Recalls, GM is just getting a lot of extra exposure. I am sure if you went on a hunt, you would find many hidden issues at Ford, Chrysler and others, It's not just a GM Culture issue, it is a Industry issue. Don't get me wrong, GM has some work and house cleaning to do, but it is getting blown out of proportion.

People seem to have quickly forgotten the Ford/Firestone Tire Issue which killed over 200 people over the years. Ford did a pretty good job of throwing Firestone under the bus, but Ford was just as responsible, they knew the issues, they lowered the tire pressure rating on the vehicle to get it to pass testing, despite the fact that Firestone told them that the tire was not designed for that air pressure.

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
Flashback - when I drove a 14 Impala LT for a few weeks this summer - on one occasion when I went to hit the brake, it felt like the gas was still pressed and the car did not slow at all. Guess what? The gas was still pressed. My foot somehow was pressing both pedals at the same time. My foot must not have been angled enough and I did not move it far enough to the left to clear the gas pedal. I am only a size 11, so it was not the size of my feet. I also had this happen once in my friend's 2010 SHO. No explanation for it as in my 39 years of driving, these two incidents are the only ones I recall like this. Bad design? Fluke? Getting older and clumsy? Just a thought for the OP. If you are a young guy - ignore option 3.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Flashback - when I drove a 14 Impala LT for a few weeks this summer - on one occasion when I went to hit the brake, it felt like the gas was still pressed and the car did not slow at all. Guess what? The gas was still pressed. My foot somehow was pressing both pedals at the same time. My foot must not have been angled enough and I did not move it far enough to the left to clear the gas pedal. I am only a size 11, so it was not the size of my feet. I also had this happen once in my friend's 2010 SHO. No explanation for it as in my 39 years of driving, these two incidents are the only ones I recall like this. Bad design? Fluke? Getting older and clumsy? Just a thought for the OP. If you are a young guy - ignore option 3.
relatively young at 41, also wear a size 11

21 - 40 of 41 Posts