Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.. I have a 2002 base model 3400 Chevy Impala with 120xxx miles. It is my daily driver. I do have a heavy foot. I have a few questions. My goal isn't to make it a formula 1 car or anything, I'm being logical about this, I just want a little more fun and excitement while driving. I bought the car from a dealer with 100,000 miles with a 3yr/36,000 mile warranty, I still have around 16,xxx miles left in my warranty so I won't be doing a L67 swap in the near future (Give it 1 or 2 years). I know there isn't much to be desired in the 3400 performance area, but maybe I have forgot about something.
So far I have done:

k&n drop in air filter
new pcv valve
6 oil changes :lol: another due in about a week I'd say
Thunderbolt 435250 2.5 cat
Y pipe w/dual Magnaflow and Resonator delete 4in tips...
Plugs AC/delco with about 20xxx miles (so said the dealer, will be pulling to check this weekend)

Am I missing any bolt-on parts besides the U-bend delete and FWI? I will be doing both in a 1 or 2 weeks.

I wanted to finish everything before I get the 87 octane tune from Overkill.

I've been through all of the 7th gen performance threads and I think I have covered it all besides this.
I sent 77 some links for the 3400 guys, if they arent posted in a few days, feel free to pm me, I'll send you the linx
On an unrelated note, as I said I'm at 120xxx miles. I have been bouncing the idea back and forth in my head over doing a transmission filter and fluid change. I do not know if one has ever been done on it in the past. I've heard good and bad on doing so, but I have heard it can cause premature failure on an automatic transmission. What do you think?

As I stated : "I'm still under warranty, so I cannot do a L67 swap at this time." I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, I know a L67 is the only way to go to build any serious power and I don't want to cause any confusion. Please no rude or negative comments.
THANKS, SCOTTY :beer:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
For the most part, you are doing pretty much everything you can. That overkill tune will really wake it up.

On the transmission, yes servicing a high mileage trans can cause a premature failure, but you sound like you aren't entirely sure of the service history. If you still have 16k left on your warranty, you should probably do it now, so it can be covered if it does fail. Otherwise you are just leaving yourself with a ticking timebomb.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the most part, you are doing pretty much everything you can. That overkill tune will really wake it up.

On the transmission, yes servicing a high mileage trans can cause a premature failure, but you sound like you aren't entirely sure of the service history. If you still have 16k left on your warranty, you should probably do it now, so it can be covered if it does fail. Otherwise you are just leaving yourself with a ticking timebomb.
Thanks!
:eek:k3: that is what I was thinking. I hate an auto tranny. Gm should have done a 5 speed, but I still love mine nonetheless. Sucks that it has to be serviced by a certified technician ugh or my warranty won't hold up, I love little projects to make me feel accomplished.:bang: Think I may get the neon runnin again just so I can turn a wrench again:hope:

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anybody out there done a 3500 top swap on a 3400?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Reactions: SCOTTYINWV

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ol boy on there ses he shaved over half a second off his time with the 2500 top swap. That's awesome not going to be like a ss or nothing but hey if ya had to swap heads for some reason, why not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts