Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i used an oil extractor on another car a few months ago. so now it was my car's turn. 14 impala.

i never changed the filter from the top before so did that first. then i wanted to warm up the car so the oil moved more freely. when i got out of the car after the temp got up to about 100. there was oil all over the place. apparently i tightened it too much and the filter gasket was smashed. id say the puddle was about 4 ft in diameter

i put on a new filter and then tried sucking the oil out again figuring there was a bit more left. no dice. to make sure the ppump was working, i put it in some old drain oil (at 30 degrees F outside now) and the oil pumped just fine

so my conslution was that the oil pan was empty. so i sprayed down my belt and stuff with brake clean to get the oil off and i put in 3 qts of oil to see how much it came up. then i put in the oil pump and no oil came out at all. i dont get it?

i got a reading on the stick so took the car outside over fresh snow. not a drop of oil made the snow black so i know the filter is on right

i'm letting the car sit 30 min then checking the level. but i guess i did an oil change? i did chck the oil before i did anything today and there was still a reading on the stick but i was down to 0 on the meter for a week. i do all hiway driving. i guess the worse that happen is i have half new and half old oil. i guess in theory i can try the pump on the car now that i know theres at least 4 new qts in . but i there any reason why the extractor wouldnt work on this car?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i checked and the level is above the last dot so it's a little full but ill burn that off on the highway. no fresh leaks on the garage floor after car running about 15 minutes. so thats good. i did not hook up the extractor to see if i could suck any fresh oil out. but given the amount i put in i think there was 1 to 2 qts left in the car when i was trying to suck more out. i thought this would be a good way to do an oil change without jacking up the car but i guess not

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this didnt work again. why cant we put a tube down the dipstick..this is annoying. i was trying to avoid jacking up the car 10 times a year between this and rotation lol. must be something at the bottom blocking tube

·
Registered
480 Posts
I buy my oil I want to use and filter I want to use then bring it to my local mechanic who charges 20 bucks to do the change. For 20 bucks I cannot even imagine going through the headaches. To me it seems you are making it much more difficult than it ever should be.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Spend the $30 on one of these and make it so much easier to change your own oil...

[ame]http://www.impalaforums.com/showthread.php?p=3611633[/ame]

I could have my oil changed in the time it takes to drive to a garage to do it for me.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the goal was not to have jack the car up though i admit the bolt is PITA and i wouldnt mind replacing it. there must be a slot at the bottom of the dipstick that the hose doesnt go down far enough. super annoying to have to jack it up. especially in the cold winter months.

·
Registered
111 Posts
this didnt work again. why cant we put a tube down the dipstick..this is annoying. i was trying to avoid jacking up the car 10 times a year between this and rotation lol. must be something at the bottom blocking tube
Is it possable that the tube is bottoming out on the bottom of the pan and blocking the tube ?

I use a Fumoto valve, very similar to the ValvoMax setup, no tools, just drain into a jug, replace filter and done.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ive tried just having it up a tad.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
the goal was not to have jack the car up though i admit the bolt is PITA and i wouldnt mind replacing it. there must be a slot at the bottom of the dipstick that the hose doesnt go down far enough. super annoying to have to jack it up. especially in the cold winter months.
I'm not sure about the 9th gens, but with the 8th gen, I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to just reach under the car and connect the hose without jacking up the car at all with that device...

OR... you could always just use car ramps to avoid having to jack up the car...

·
Registered
297 Posts
I don't have any suggestions about the oil extraction, but I think the 3 or 4 qts on the floor was due to the old filter gasket being stuck to the filter mount. It's happened to me 3 or 4 times at least in the last 50 years or so. It makes the new filter's gasket looks like it was smashed or deformed. It'll happen to anybody that changes a lot of oil. Only way to prevent it is look at the filter mount or wipe it off good before installing the new one.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure about the 9th gens, but with the 8th gen, I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to just reach under the car and connect the hose without jacking up the car at all with that device...

OR... you could always just use car ramps to avoid having to jack up the car...
with our low front end would that work? i have to angle the car every day at bottom of my driveway so i dont knock out the dam underneath

also ive never used ramps but unsure if woudl work in my garage. i have just enough room to walk around the car and not a lot of extra space . its hard to explain but i have a slope at my garage door that goes down the driveway. literally have to gun it enough to get in my garage up and over the sloped lip as i reverse, but not so hard as to go crazy fast and hit the cabinets in the back. pulling in the garage is not an option because of how things are setup there with angles etc

and i dont wanna do work on the driveway but thats the only option i could see with ramps. id have to meditate on that. but i do hate jacking up the car. are ramps considered more stable than jackstands?

i still cant believe theres something in the dipstick that prevents this tiny hose from bottoming out. i guess no one here has taken the engine apart to see something like this yet.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
almost oil change time again. i really wish could just suck it out of the engine..sigh

so has anyone used ramps with our cars

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i hate jacking up this car and crawling under to put jack stands. especially in winter its not fun. if i didnt have to jack it up to rotate the tires i wouldnt

·
Registered
376 Posts
I know that on my 8th gen, the ramps I have dont really work. There is so much of the car that hangs out in front of the wheels that my bumper hits the ramps before my tires do. I have to drive up on blocks, and then push the ramps up to the blocks and drive on them. Not sure how it would be with your car, but if you do buy ramps, make sure they are pretty low profile.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
jacking up the fronts on this car is super easy...other than placing the jack stand under the engine cradle however is a challenge ("frame rail bends under the weight of the car...thanks chevy). the rear isn't terrible to jack up but good luck finding a place for the stands to go...

the rear on an 07 saturn aura gives a whole new meaning to what the hell were they thinking!?!?!? takes two people to get the jack in the right spot...one to guide and one to jack it up....what a PITA!

·
Registered
111 Posts
i hate jacking up this car and crawling under to put jack stands. especially in winter its not fun. if i didnt have to jack it up to rotate the tires i wouldnt
Just jack up the left side, high enough to get under and use one jack stand, it's not that hard. There is a nice piece of frame rail about 12" in, good for lifting and jack stand, better than trying to lift it at the pinch weld at the outer side of the car.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know that on my 8th gen, the ramps I have dont really work. There is so much of the car that hangs out in front of the wheels that my bumper hits the ramps before my tires do. I have to drive up on blocks, and then push the ramps up to the blocks and drive on them. Not sure how it would be with your car, but if you do buy ramps, make sure they are pretty low profile.

this is what i worried about. heck i have to go slow at the bottom of my driveway cause i scrap every time. i'm approaching oil change time. i guess part of what i hate is crawling for jack placement and because of the jack i have i need 4x4 under to jack up the car high enough but i dont wanna lay out over 100 for a real jack. i have the harbor freight 60 dollar one i got years ago.

plus i do this many times a year and that extractor was supposed to work. wish someone knew the internals of the engine to explain why it wont work. maybe i can call jiffy lube! dont they suck out all the oil.

then the plug is at a bad angle and id consider that 30 dollar valve in the future.

maybe ill just try the left side this time to see if half the work :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
I guess part of what i hate is crawling for jack placement and because of the jack i have i need 4x4 under to jack up the car high enough but i dont wanna lay out over 100 for a real jack. i have the harbor freight 60 dollar one i got years ago.
I hate doing it to. Not really sure why, as it takes less than 5 min to get the car in the air with the jackstands in place, but for some reason I dread it every time.

I am always tempted to just jack up one side, but the drain is sort of in the middle of the pan on my car so I figured it wouldn't drain all of the oil out. Probably not a big deal (can't imagine any significant amount remains inside the pan) but I just like having it level.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts