Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i filled my tank today with bp premium gas cause i think it will help my engine run better even though it takes unleaded only but im sure it will be happy for once to have some good stuff in it..because i feel it wasnt runnin so good with unleaded all the time i felt a difference with the premium...do i have to always put premium now since i put it in there for once or no?

·
Registered
34 Posts
No you are not obligated to fill with premium all the time. Premimum has a higher octane level 91 or 92, so you will notice a bit more umph. I believe the 4.3 v6, or the LG4 v8 do not requiere premium, so its a matter of choice. Carbs do not care which one it is, it will just combust better. Just keep tuned-up and maintain the motor and oil and regular fuel is fine. IMO anyhow..:smile:

·
Registered
34 Posts
KW please explain, I do not understand what you mean? "What does one have to do with the other" The higer octane level as compared to better combustion?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ok, KW I will retract my statement and re-think what I said... In the case of "Live life to the Fullest's " 87 carbed low compression 8.2-8.5 :1 motor, He would not get anymore Umph because the energy levels of reg. fuel and premium fuel are relatively the same. 111,400 BTU's of energy per gallon.
The higher Octane level would only help to prevent Pinging or pre-detonation in an older carbed-up motor, and that may help to put premium in the tank from time to time. Todays cars have a knock sensor to help adjust the timing, so not as important as long as the "load" on the engine is not exceeded the capabilities of the knock sensor to compensate. There perhaps I am now speaking better and not quick responding...:rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts