Impala Forums banner

Is it impossible to remove and replace 2004 impala battery?

26K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  g25racer 
#1 ·
So the batt needs replaced on my '04, and I don't understand why they make it so difficult.... I was able to remove the metal piece above my battery and unscrew the pos and neg screws from the battery. But this battery is like sealed in where it is, and I have no idea what to do to get it out. Is there somthing I am missing? Thanks.

#2 ·
Now I have changed the battery in an 03 and don't remember the details. I would say look towards the bottom of the side of the battery as there is probably a wedge clamp to hold the battery down. Black plastic with one bolt in the middle.

#3 ·
All car and truck batteries are held down with some sort of clamp, is this your first time replacing a battery?

#8 ·
loosen the strut bolt on shock tower and remove bolts on radiator frame , remove battery hold down bolt, the one on base of battery. move strut out of way swing towards fender. Now you can get battery out, it takes some moving around but it will come out. To put new battery back just reverse. Good luck.

Reactions: DR_MCGILL
#9 ·
Auto part Vehicle Tire Machine Vehicle door

here is where im at right now. i've undid the one battery hold down bolt (pretty sure there is only one...and disconecceted the battery, i've removed the metal bar...should i be able to shimmy the battery out now or is there more i need to take out? i'm gona give it a go but it looks like it will be way to tight to get out so i figure there might be more that needs to come out first. THanks everyone

#12 ·
I always rotate the battery and stand it on end, that usually gets it.

#14 ·
Maintance free you can for a short while to get it installed, would not try lead acid with the caps.:yikes:

#15 ·
Dead serious, it's never for more than 30 seconds though. And of course, always sealed batteries.

#16 ·
I would also recommend cleaning the body ground. Unhook both battery cables first! It is looking a bit corroded. I simply cut my old ring terminal off and installed a "pure copper terminal" and sanded the contact point on the body. But, I would just sand the terminal down and the contact point. Then spray "contact/battery acid cleaner" on the wire that goes to the terminal.

Contact here:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.