Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Chevy Impala. Sometimes when I step on the gas peddle it jerks. I first thought it was my transmission, so I had it checked out and everything is fine. I work as an administrator for an auto repair shop, so I had the mechanics check it out and they could not find anything wrong. I know I am not imagining things, because my husband feels it too. Is anyone having the same problem?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nicnoo, This kind if problem is somewhat difficult to chase out. If the air cleaner is clean try a bottle of 3M Total Fuel System Cleaner along with 14 gallons of fuel in the gas tank. Plan on a sustained long hard high speed trip for the best results.

If that doesn't do the trick take the car to a Chevrolet dealership and ask them to check one of the three ignition coils.

A Chevrolet dealer will know all about the following but home and independant mechanics may not know this: On your motor, one of these three ignition coils fires two cylinders at the exact same time! In other words if a coil isn't delivering the proper voltage to the pair of cylinders the ignition wires lead to the engine drops two cylinders on opposite banks at the same instant. The six cylinder motor will hesitate really bad fireing 4 cylinders instead of all six.

If necessary the Chevrolet dealership can prefessionally clean the fuel injection system for not a lot of money. Never use any ignition wires other than genuine AC-Delco parts or a pre-terminated set of MSD ignition wires.

·
Registered
557 Posts
tell your guys at your shop to spray the spark plug wires with soapy water, and see if they arc. Also ask them to pull out the plugs and check them. Make sure they're AC Delco plugs, because for some odd reason GM's dont run well on anything else. That's a start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 02 Impala is having a similar issue when crusing at any speed, it jerks gently. Its like its missing. I thought it was surging by it doesnt feel like it. So I've regap the plugs and they all had a nice light tan color to them. Cleaned the egr the best I could. Cleaned the IC. Air filter okay. I've had coils go on me b4. When they go, they run absolutely horrible, so I know its not that. I have no CEL on. So it hasnt done a hard error yet to whatever is causing it. This wasnt a sudden thing, its started lightlly probably a month ago. Check vacuum lines quickly but didnt see nothing. It almost feels like the crank sensor but dont know for sure. Its not the MAF either. Is it maybe a MAP sensor on its way out? Can you clean them? Any ideas? Ya that was the other thing, I thought it might be my transmission, being a 02 they are not interchangeable with other years with impalas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts