Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to help someone find the EGR vlv. on their '14 Impala LT with the 3.6L since they said they're being quoted $3,400 dollars to clean it since they have to pull the engine. I haven't found the part listed in two places and have only read one mention of an EGR vlv. Do these have an EGR vlv? Is it buried/not readily accessible?

(BTW, another commenter wrote he believed low- and ultra-low-emission vehicles with VVT may not use a valve and obtain the goal by valve overlap (which doesn't seem acheivable to me)).

Thx.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
...they said they're being quoted $3,400 dollars to clean it since they have to pull the engine.
I'm not sure whether the 3.6L (LFX) has an EGR valve or not, but that right there tells me somebody's getting their leg pulled. No way I believe that's necessary.

(BTW, another commenter wrote he believed low- and ultra-low-emission vehicles with VVT may not use a valve and obtain the goal by valve overlap (which doesn't seem acheivable to me)).
Actually, that's beleivable to me. If the exhaust valves are left open at the start of the intake stroke, some burnt exhaust will get sucked back into cylinder which will serve the same purpose.

Doug

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine removal certainly sounds wrong, but I'm too unfamiliar with this car/engine, and being so crammed maybe it is so.

I guess I do see, now, how using an open exh. vlv. is theoretically possible by the piston downstroke; it didn't visualize to me as well controlled at first. It does sound better. Thx.

If anyone more definitively knows, please advise...BTW, they have 131k miles on the car.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
The engine removal certainly sounds wrong, but I'm too unfamiliar with this car/engine, and being so crammed maybe it is so.

I guess I do see, now, how using an open exh. vlv. is theoretically possible by the piston downstroke; it didn't visualize to me as well controlled at first. It does sound better. Thx.

If anyone more definitively knows, please advise...BTW, they have 131k miles on the car.
These two threads (from another forum) indicate there's no EGR on the LFX.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263811

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371549

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
121 Posts
There is no EGR Valve on a LFX 3.6L or most any engine with variable valve timing. In VVT engines, the exhaust cam timing is retarded far enough that exhaust is drawn back into the cylinder at the beginning of the intake stroke for EGR.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, Doug. I came across that site but did not find those posts. I will pass these links on.

Thanks again. Sounds like a good site here, and now I'm a little more up to speed on the 3.6s. ��

·
Registered
894 Posts
OP id work with local police and do a sting of the repair shop. then make sure it hits the news. or maybe you are in a 1 party state and can record the convo without permission but thats a huge scam. id be furious

1 - 11 of 11 Posts