1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some rust around rear window, and rear quarter panel

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
It would be a nice car. There are too many factors that only you can decide whether or not to restore it. I am not sure how much of a collectors item it is. For me I am restoring my daily driver, a 1977 Impala. I cannot say that everyone would. Do you think you would enjoy this car? Does it seem that the rust on it can be worked with or do you need to replace parts? Where would you get the parts? How much do you like or love this car? These are questions only you can answer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Personally I Think This Would Be A Nice Car To Restore. True Its Not A 63 Or 64 But I Have Seen 69s That Make Most 64s Look Weak In Comparison. 77 Impala Is Right Though You Have To Believe In The Build Or Else Your Just Gonna Wind Up Putting Money Into Something And Wind Up Selling It Before Youre Done And Losing That Money! I Would Love To See More 69s And 70s Built Resto Or Custom. I Can Show You Some Pix That Would Really Get You Inspired And Show You What Beautiful Car It Could Be!

·
Registered
6 Posts
yo i'm a 69 owner. i've put weeks of body work into her already , and its not even the two door or the ss. i have a four door with the 327. i have the same problem with the rust by the rear window....my rear quarter is solid tho..i had a hole in my front fender i recently took it off and patched her up with sme 18 gage steel sheet metal and my welder . i say go for it!!
[/IMG]

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k121/Nocturnal_Beauty3176/FCPSchool/his/pixforbabydoll044.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k121/Nocturnal_Beauty3176/FCPSchool/his/pixforbabydoll042.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Go for it!

If you happen to be attracted to that particular body style, why not go for it? When I went to the National Impala Association in Indy this past August, I noted a number of well restored and well preserved 1969s, so it appears that there is a national interest in this year vehicle. Many of them were Big Block cars, I never saw sooo many in one place!

If you have some affinity for that year for any reason (for example, I graduated from high school that year, your family had one back in the day, that sort of thing) that's all the more reason to have. My simple rule is to never get "upside down" on a vehicle (have more $$$ into it than it is worth), and since I do much of my own work (my labor is free) that is possible. Go with your instincts!

Good luck!
Tom Kochtanek

totally dedicated to the "W" and to 1961/1962 Chevys!

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you like 69 Impalas absolutely. A little rust isn't the end of the world.

·
Registered
4 Posts
'69 Worth Restoring?

69Impala, what are you using it for? Daily transportation? Cruising?

If it will be a nostalgia piece used for cruising, I think it's worth it; in my area, I've gone to cruise nights all summer, and a '69 is a rare car for sure.

In any event, if it is otherwise a solid example, I would think that it would be worth it to restore.

If you decide to do it, take pictures and let us see the progress.

·
Registered
14 Posts
when restoring any car, no matter how bad you think it is it is always way worse and more expensive than you originaly anticipated. when dealing with a pre 1988 chevy you have many things working against you like un catalized paint,(laquer) and an incredibly poor e-coat. this means rust. its always there you just cant see it. you also have major problem areas like above the gas tank(trunk floor) and inner wheelhouses and floorpans on the midwestern cars. so the real question is how bad do you want the finished product and how much are you willing to spend. but if you are looking for an answer on is it worth it or not, i would determine that on the shape of the quarter panels and the inner wheelhouses. they are the most costly of the sheetmetal items to replace..thats what i would base my decision on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts