Impala Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Reviving an old thread. Where is the radio module located in a 2015? I have gotten three different answers from three vendors: behind the 8" screen, in the trunk and under the glove box. Can anyone confirm location?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Reviving an old thread. Where is the radio module located in a 2015? I have gotten three different answers from three vendors: behind the 8" screen, in the trunk and under the glove box. Can anyone confirm location?
In every video I've seen of people replacing these, they're under the glove box.

·
Registered
1 Posts
dsrok, thanks for starting this thread. I did the upgrade from DDS as well. I spoke with Carl Cowles who provided me with the exact parts I needed. They were shipped promptly and well packed. It was the IO5 to IO6 2016 HMI w/ antenna and Carplay Kit.

Working in the passenger side kick panel is quite a contortion as you stated, and it took me nearly two hours to replace the HMI module, Satellite radio module, and the USB connector in the center console. (I worked slowly so as to avoid frustration and pulled muscles from being contorted.)

The socket I used to take off the kick panel screws was 7mm.

I also used a T15 torx to remove the screws holding the plastic plate above the USB connector in place.

You may need a flashlight, flat head screwdriver, black electricians tape, and an exacto knife.
(I had to cut some black tape already in the Impala to move a wire and replace it when done.)

There is a video on YouTube showing how to remove the HMI module. The Satellite Radio module is right next to it.
After following that video...

I popped both sides of the center arm rest out by pulling them towards the door.
That lets you get at the two T15 screws. After removing them, the plastic that surrounds the USB connector can be carefully popped off. The USB connector itself has a slot on the side, I stuck a screwdriver in that and gently popped it out.

If you don't replace the USB connector in the center arm rest module, you can't use Apple Car Play there. (However, it did work for me as-is in the single USB port hidden behind the pop up radio screen.) If you do replace the center arm rest USB that means you lose the mmc port (2014), but no big loss there.

HD Radio, Navigation, Apple Car Play, all work as expected. Satellite test station came in fine, but I don't subscribe, so I assume that worked. Reverse camera kept working fine. USB drive continued working as expected.

Exactly what I hoped for:
I lost:
MMC connector in center console.

I gained:
Apple Car Play
Navigation
Traffic Report
Seems faster overall since the CPU in the HMI module is supposed to be faster.
I'm having a problem removing the radio module. There's two plugs, each circular with pink attachments, that I can't seem to get to pull out. Attached is an image with one of them.

Do either of you remember how you got these to pull out? Putting pressure on the pink spot doesn't seem to work

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know this is an ancient thread but adding...

Gives you Wireless Apple CarPlay if you already have CarPlay on your head unit.

I added that USB adapter to my Impala via simple USB plug in, and now I have Apple Wireless CarPlay. It's not perfect, nothing wireless is, but it works. If you decide to add it, DO NOT upgrade the stock firmware in carplay2air. The latest version doesn't seem to work as of 7/10/2020, and you can't easily downgrade the firmware. I took the unit with the new firmware and moved it to another car, so I didn't have to send it back.

I keep my phone in my left back pocket, and the wireless signal through my butt is good enough that it works most of the time. If I put the phone in the cupholder instead, it's more reliable. It's not 100% though, anything wireless occasionally has drops, etc. where the map on the Apple CarPlay won't update.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts