Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Impala 3.8 it will intermittently show a red battery indicator light.

New battery, cables, alternator, and 3wire connector on the bottom of of alternator, still have the problem.

I did not have access to a wiring diagram that would show me where the 3 control wires lead to on the 3 wire connector

Suggestions welcome

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
2000 Impala 3.8 it will intermittently show a red battery indicator light.

New battery, cables, alternator, and 3wire connector on the bottom of of alternator, still have the problem.

I did not have access to a wiring diagram that would show me where the 3 control wires lead to on the 3 wire connector

Suggestions welcome
Did you do the work, or someone else?

I would follow the negative battery cable and ENSURE that the ground connection(s) are solid and tight, with no rust or corrosion.

Use caution - but also follow the positive battery cable to the starter connection and ensure that the connection is clean and tight. It will be live / hot with the battery connected. You may want to disconnect the battery if you find a loose connection, before you proceed further.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Work was combination of shop and myself. I'm a retired instrument/computer tech/mechanic. Normally I do my own work but this time I took it to a shop. They could not find anything, but did replace the alternator, battery I replaced due to failure due to age..

First thing I did was clean major - & + from the battery on. Next was the control wires on the bottom of the alternator, It didn't look healthy so I crimped a new connector, with adhesive lined heat shrink and re wrapped the harness.

I need a schematic of where the red/whtstrip, orange, and green wires go I want to do a continuity check end to end.

I have the GM shop manuals but I can not find what I need.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts