Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched your forums here and didn't find an answer...

I have had teh Intermediate Steering Shaft problem for the past 80,000 miles...

Got it lubed 3 different times under warranty, then I finally shamed them into replacing it. When I got the car back the steering wheel was off center by about 8 degrees. How is this possible? Doesn't the shaft bolt into one position only?

Is it possible they pulled the shaft apart and got it back together with the splines off by 1 or 2?

They refused to fix it, they said it was off when it came in and I know damn well it wasn't. Crooked steering wheels drive me nuts and I would have noticed, this ain't my first rodeo...

I am done with them idiots so I have to fix this myself. I read the instructions somebody posted for replacing the shaft, and I don't see how it could be clocked wrong... Maybe I should pull the steering wheel and just put it on straight?

Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
You got them to replace the ISS on a 6 year old Imapla with 80K miles? Well done.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Post 3 looks like a response. I know on 8th gens you cannot just pull the wheel and straighten. No idea on 7th gens.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Post # 3 does nothing for me, I have to fix this myself... Allow me to re-phrase my question:

I got my intermediate Steering Shaft replaced by the dealer. When I got the car back the steering wheel was off center by about 8 degrees. How is this possible? Doesn't the shaft bolt into one position only?

Is it possible they pulled the shaft apart and got it back together with the splines off by 1 or 2? Is it even a splined shaft, or possibly square?

I read the instructions somebody posted for replacing the shaft, and I don't see how it could be clocked wrong...

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Post # 3 does nothing for me, I have to fix this myself... Allow me to re-phrase my question:

I got my intermediate Steering Shaft replaced by the dealer. When I got the car back the steering wheel was off center by about 8 degrees. How is this possible? Doesn't the shaft bolt into one position only?

Is it possible they pulled the shaft apart and got it back together with the splines off by 1 or 2? Is it even a splined shaft, or possibly square?

I read the instructions somebody posted for replacing the shaft, and I don't see how it could be clocked wrong...

Your thoughts?
keep at the dealer to make it right. if they won't talk to the GM of the dealer ship, if that goes no where call the gm 1800 number and tell them whats going on. the screwed it they fix it customer is right! i wish i could go with you to the dealer i just love getting them to fix there screw up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts