Impala Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to drive my son to school this morning and my Impala was completely DOA - couldn't even unlock the doors because the battery was completely dead. I dropped my son off at school yesterday morning and all was well.

However, I think that I may know what caused it (but not sure why). Here's the story...

My wife was actually going to pick my son up early from school yesterday. Since I was in the kitchen (which leads to our attached garage) at the time that she was getting ready to leave, I told her that I would remote start her car for her (to warm it up). I grabbed hey keychain, opened the garage door and remote-started her car (so I thought).

Well, when she went to leave, she came back in to inform me that I had remote-started *my* car instead (oooopppss!!)! :) Apparently, she has 2 keychains - one with keys for her car and one with keys for my car.

So at that point, I picked up a keychain (can't remember if it was mine or hers) and stopped my car (by pressing the remote start button). I heard my car stop running and went back to what I was doing. Fast forward to this morning and I found my car was completely dead.

What I'm wondering is if, for some reason, my Rosen stayed powered on when I stopped the remote start? Honestly, I've never stopped a remote-start manually like that before - or if I did, I drove the car shortly afterwards.

So I have a battery charger on the battery now - seems to be taking a charge - I'll know soon enough (the battery isn't very old).

But - even if the Rosen was the cause, isn't the car supposed to go into some sort of "battery rundown" protection if the battery gets too low?

Anyone else have any idea what could cause this? Has anyway stopped a remote-start and let the car sit for a day before trying to use it again?

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, this is actually my second battery in my 2012 already (was replaced once under the bumper-to-bumper warranty)... I hope it's not completely dead, but since my charger did at least start charging it, that is a good sign. Usually, if the battery is toast, it won't' even try to charge it at all. But yeah, it would seem that either AC-Delco batteries just aren't very good anymore or these cars are just hard on batteries... Not sure which it is.

Will report back after the charger completes it's charge...

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the Rosen does not come "alive" with the remote start (you can't use it while remote-started), but I'm assuming that it still does "turn on" internally. Plus, I do have an amp connected to it - so that may play a part as well. But the amp is connected to the same power wire as the head-unit (this amp allows you to get power from the head-unit power wire). Really not sure why it happened. And I'm *assuming* it was a dead battery - I mean is there anything else that could stop all power besides a whole fuse box losing connectivity or something? I guess I should have at least checked the battery voltage before I started charging it, huh? One should never assume! :)

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick update. So I charged the battery for a few hours. Starting out charging it at 12A and then read that you really shouldn't change it that high for very long (not sure how true that is), so I lowered it down to a 2A charge. After about 4 hours total of charging, I disconnected the charger, re-connected the battery wires to the battery and remote-started it. Started great. Left run for 10 minutes (forgot about it!) and the remote-start had timed out. I then put the key in and started it normally and it fired right up - no lights or messages on the DIC. It sure *seems* normal... I'll probably just let it sit overnight and see what happens in the morning... Maybe even drive it to autozone to test battery and alternator tomorrow. Strange...

Anyone have any input on the charge amount? My inexpensive Duracell car battery charger allows 2A, 6A or 12A charge settings. Is it safe to use 12A for a car battery (I think the manual mentions 2A=tractor/motorcycle, 6A=car and 12A=truck).

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another follow-up... Car fired right up again this morning like nothing ever happened... I truly think it may just have been related to me stopping the remote start for some reason (maybe the Rosen doesn't handle that well?). Not really sure... I'm going to use it normally and see what happens. I may still try and get the battery tested at AutoZone though - can't hurt...

Sent from my CW-Hi12 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts