Impala Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
The rundown "protection" for the battery is not effective imo. Will let you keep a usb charger on even after it should go off. Minimal draw is still a draw and if a phone or device is left plugged into it there is more draw.

Original battery on our 12 crapped out on me sitting in traffic waiting for a middle school pick up line to start, car was off for maybe ten minutes. Battery was only 3 years old. Have had pretty good luck in the past with factory batteries lasting, not the case with that one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Have the battery load tested somewhere, any walmart with an auto center or auto parts store can check it for you. Bet it has a dead cell, batteries will still take a charge with a dead cell and may even start the car.

In the case of ours it would crank the car with the my battery charger on start, and even roll it over immediately after taking the charger off, but once it sat 15 -20 minutes forget it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Quick update. So I charged the battery for a few hours. Starting out charging it at 12A and then read that you really shouldn't change it that high for very long (not sure how true that is), so I lowered it down to a 2A charge. After about 4 hours total of charging, I disconnected the charger, re-connected the battery wires to the battery and remote-started it. Started great. Left run for 10 minutes (forgot about it!) and the remote-start had timed out. I then put the key in and started it normally and it fired right up - no lights or messages on the DIC. It sure *seems* normal... I'll probably just let it sit overnight and see what happens in the morning... Maybe even drive it to autozone to test battery and alternator tomorrow. Strange...

Anyone have any input on the charge amount? My inexpensive Duracell car battery charger allows 2A, 6A or 12A charge settings. Is it safe to use 12A for a car battery (I think the manual mentions 2A=tractor/motorcycle, 6A=car and 12A=truck).

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk
You can overcharge a battery by charging at too high amperage for too long, in which case it would likely overheat and possibly even swell the case. Charging at 12 amps for a short period of time should be fine. If you were leaving it overnight obviously you would not want to charge at that high a rate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
If you don't have one, those little portable jump starters are pretty handy to have. Can be picked up around $40-$50 at most walmart stores. Bought my wife and 20 year old each one to keep in their cars, beats them having to wait for someone to help them.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top