Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
Yes, you can. And you can put a 2001-2005 SS cluster in, but one of the gauges won't work. Volts or oil press, I think. You'll need to get it reprogrammed to your mileage.

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
The LS will work, and all gauges will work. Plug and play, except mileage. Needs to be reset.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Aren't the same years Monte Carlo gauges a swap too?? I thought they looked better....maybe I'm thinking of something else...

·
The Unscrupulous Lt. Colonel
1,077 Posts
Nothing, you will just need to document the mileage from your old cluster and hold on to it until you get it reprogrammed to the new cluster. Its then basic math at that point.:eek:k3:

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
If you don't you get in trouble from the DMV for misrepresenting mileage and it goes on your title.

·
The Unscrupulous Lt. Colonel
1,077 Posts
Agreed. But federally if the car is 10 yrs old, that statement Don is null and void, so he will be good.

·
Registered
412 Posts
*hey quick question- how much is the running cost for it to be programmed for the mileage?
BBEngineering Impala / Monte Carlo Products
he will charge 60 to program mileage

also volt meter works in all models..if you have the 3400 or 3.4l your oil pressure will NOT work, (alternative gauge is here http://www.impalaforums.com/appearance/294549-cluster-mod.html)

However if you have the ls model i believe it will work no problem and obviously if you don't have an ss model and you have the optional boost gauge it will not work either.

these are all models that are compatible with each other
impala

monte carlos

base model

ls model

ss impala with boost

monte carlo ss with voltage

theres a couple other ones too with limited edition signatures or something.... think i covered it all

EDIT: oh yea and if you get a 2000 either monte or impala cluster and you don't already have a 2000 impala or monte your S.O.L. cause its a different plug and not compatible with the rest!

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
I like the LS gauges... but as of now, Books for school drained all the money i had saved from the summer and then some... $600 for books... B/ so all my car plans are either cancelled or put on eternal hold. for now it gets me place to place and if it ain't free/ a mandatory safety hazard, it ain't happenin'. Thanks though! good stuff to know

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok, got you. My other question is... I have a 2005 impala base model, some summitracing mods, but original cluster with 191.000 miles no RPM gauge, in the case that i swap my cluster for the ss or monte carlo one with 100.000 miles, and i use it for a whole year putting 13.000 miles on it, you are saying that swaping back my old cluster it got to be showing the same 191.000 miles on it? No marks or signs of manipulation on it?

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
^Yes, and when you go to the DMV next time you get busted for it. They keep a record, so their paper records will prove it...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this thread is three years old, but I have to change the cluster cause of the cheap GM bean counters on the cheap stepper motors. I am able to get a new cluster with the upgraded motors, but it's a higher mileage. If I read the responses right, I have to go to the dealer to get the odometer reading corrected? Thanks.

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Yes, or you could just replace the stepper motors in the cluster yourself with the updated model. Pretty easy, and only costs ~$50 if you have to buy the soldering iron and stuff too. The stepper motors are about $5 a piece.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thought about that, unfortunately it's my dd. I really don't want to have to feel rushed to do it. The cluster itself comes out fairly quick and easy, and I can solder, I have the tools. I thought about buying a replacement, use temp, then repair the original. It may be off a few hundred miles, but that is better than the 10's of thousands with the replacement/reman'd one. Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts