Impala Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a list of bulbs needed for the instrument cluster?

I have a few bulbs out, now the high beam bulb is out. Centre of my climate control panel is totally dark as well.

Not looking to go LED. I like how they look when done, more blue... but then the buttons on the doors, climate control and buttons on the steering wheel don't match unless converted as well, which is more than I'd want to do.

I know soldered in, but not sure what bulbs are needed or how many, and if the highbeam indicator is the same bulb or different.

Thanks

EDIT - These ones?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-qty-GM-C...ash=item3f432ecd03:g:a0UAAOSwQJhUkMGx&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one has ever replaced their bulbs? Hmm...

·
Registered
588 Posts
That is the RAW bulb. YOu can SMD50A as a complete bulb but are harder to get installed. It all depends on how well you can solder your connections.

I would if you don't have one. Get a Strap for ground and use a Low watt pin type iron while working on the Cluster

Most times people do the update to LED. There are many many colors that you can find that will work for the cluster and White you can find and most easy to use over other colors.... Some times you can even find someone that sales overlays that you can put on your Fronts. With this you want to make sure you use a color that will Reflect the right color when lit... LIke if you have a Blue tinted overlay and use white led or blub it will be blue, however if you use a Red then that would make it somewhat purple in color or blue and green LED or bulb would be cyan and so on...

If you haven't worked on a PCB before makes sure you are careful, Use a Desolder or at least some Braided solder wick. Don't use it to long on the board as it can damage it.

James

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I went LED I think I'd get ones that mimic the temperature of the stock incandescent (2700k vs 5500k). Like I said, I like how those white LEDs bring the blue out of the gauges, but, the lights on all the switches on the door, steering, climate control, etc... will still look like the pale green it is now and I'd rather it all match.

So... how about the High Beam bulb? is it the same? or are the warning lights (I'm hoping) a different style, like plug in types? If too much work and too much potential to mess up the cluster, I'd forget about the dead bulbs, but, high beam indicator would be a good one to have working.

I guess the climate control is the same as the instrument panel? The middle of mine is just black, no light at all.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Sadly all the bulbs are Solder... None of my Bulbs are out on any of my Impala's I guess I am lucky with these cars. I have in the past had other Brand cars that always seems like I was buying cluster bulbs lol.. I am doing a Cluster upgrade next month with any luck. I want to change out my 00 LS to have the 02-05 LS Sport Cluster or maybe even the Monte Carlo LS Limited Cluster that is same type as the Impala LS Sport... No reason other then I want the 6 gauge cluster..

Sadly looking over my 00 I am starting to just now see some wear that I am not to happy about. I know it is a 17 year old car, can't stay nice forever. Just this year my roof has started to get that Orange peal look but worse. So I am sure it will get a Paint Job in the next year. So between then and now I want to change out a few things to make it a fresh looking car.

James

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not as fond of mine sadly... it's had some issues and now starting to rust out, but also it's the base model so, no sunroof, 3.8l engine, trac control etc... nothing special about it, about 350,000KM and the paint is shot. I've taken great care of it the past 40,000KM but I'm the 3rd owner.

Kinda in debate to sell it next summer towards a newer car, or keep it as a winter car and put nothing more into it. That said, a half lit cluster is annoying to look at. Debated grabbing one from the wreckers and doing the LED swap on it, that way mine stays in the car while I'm doing it and if I mess up, no worries, but they wanted over $100CAD for one and unlikely I'd sell the old one back so, ya... kinda in debate if worth the trouble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts