Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that the lighting around the gas gauge more at the "F" is very dim. I wanted to know are the bulbs in a twist socket style or are they soldered in the circuit board?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Soldered in, if you are handy enough you can replace them, otherwise talk to BBEngineering.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I did some gauge work on my 2005 Gmc Sierra and it was not bad. The cluster comes out really easy on those I don't know about the Impala though. I bet it is filled with the same crappy bulbs and stepper motors though. You can use a simple iron and cheep copper solder sucker mesh to get the old bulb out and then just hit a couple drops on the new bulb pins and it's good. The stepper motors that move the guage needles are a little more work, but I did all 7 gauges in my Gmc while I had it apart, even though just the tach was dead, it was well under $50 even buying a new solder iron. They may have finally switched to a new design by 2006 but the 2001-2005 are just junk. It's weird where a company will go to save $5 on a $30,000 rig.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
They aren't bad to take out, just remember when you are soldering the bulbs in, make sure the solder sucks into the joint on its own, if you drip it on it won't make a good connection.

Reactions: clanteigne87
1 - 6 of 6 Posts