Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a few options out there to install a USB port. I'm looking to see if anyone has installed a USB port near the front of the headliner, near the rear view mirror.

·
I eat brains... gimme brains!
658 Posts
Why in the headliner? It may just be me, but having a wire hang down would drive me nuts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why in the headliner? It may just be me, but having a wire hang down would drive me nuts
Dash cam idea. It would plug into the USB port near the top of the windshield. This would avoid the annoying hanging wires you referred to :beer:

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you want it just for supplying power all you need to to is tap into a 12 source and run the wire under the headliner it wouldn't be complicated just time consuming. If you don't have a sunroof I think there's a connector somewhere back by the passenger side rear speaker in the trunk I'd tap in there and run the wire to wherever you want. I have no clue if that would work but I'd assume if you tapped into a 12v wire you'd be golden

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you want it just for supplying power all you need to to is tap into a 12 source and run the wire under the headliner it wouldn't be complicated just time consuming. If you don't have a sunroof I think there's a connector somewhere back by the passenger side rear speaker in the trunk I'd tap in there and run the wire to wherever you want. I have no clue if that would work but I'd assume if you tapped into a 12v wire you'd be golden
I do have the OEM sunroof.

From what I read last night, I need to convert the 12v to 5v in order to use the USB? Looking to see what some of you have done.

·
Registered
116 Posts

From what I read last night, I need to convert the 12v to 5v in order to use the USB? Looking to see what some of you have done.
Ok that you would just need resistors or diodes I can't remember of Hand google will be you're friend here there's very detailed posts about it google how to drop voltage it should be no problem because you're not pulling very much amperage for a dash cam. RadioShack will sell everything you need

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts

This can easily be done with either a dc drop down transformer or a simple cell phone charger. Buy yourself a Fuse Tap and female lighter socket along with a car cell phone charger that puts out 5v or close to it. $20 max and your set. I used this method minus the charger in order to power my gps and sirius radio while hiding all the wires in my fuse box.

Just found this: Amazon.com: Retailstore DC Converter Buck Module 12V Convert To 5V,5V Usb Output Power Adapt Top NEW: Electronics

or this

Amazon.com: DC/DC Converter 12V Step Down to 5V 3A Power Supply Module: Electronics

So buy yourself that or similar plus one of these

Pico 0956pt Mini Fused Circuit 16 Awg 10a : Amazon.com : Automotive

Job done

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good info, thanks.

Question. If I'm going to go with a female cigarette lighter socket and the items posted above, why not install a socket under the dash and go with something like this;

And run a USB cable up to the headliner around the windshield? Seems like that would work as well?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Good info, thanks.

Question. If I'm going to go with a female cigarette lighter socket and the items posted above, why not install a socket under the dash and go with something like this;

And run a USB cable up to the headliner around the windshield? Seems like that would work as well?
Yes that would work as well. I was simply posting a starting point. But, my method will keep all wires and sockets hidden from any view and keep them in the fuse box area. I had previously had a socket splitter mounted under the dash and found the visible adapters and splitter annoying which, is why I hid everything in the fuse box. The designer of these "fuse taps" has to be making millions. I thought of this idea and then did some research and found such an item already on the market :bang: These fuse taps make everything more simple and a cleaner install.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes that would work as well. I was simply posting a starting point. But, my method will keep all wires and sockets hidden from any view and keep them in the fuse box area. I had previously had a socket splitter mounted under the dash and found the visible adapters and splitter annoying which, is why I hid everything in the fuse box. The designer of these "fuse taps" has to be making millions. I thought of this idea and then did some research and found such an item already on the market :bang: These fuse taps make everything more simple and a cleaner install.
I see what you're saying. Where does the female cigarette socket come in with your example?

option 1: Use fuse tap -> the 12v stepdown to 5v converter -> to a female USB socket mounted in the headliner?

option 2: Hide a female cigarette socket under the dash, tapped into tthe fuse panel -> cigarette socket to USB converter -> USB cable to headliner.

Am I on the right track? I like option 1 for a better/cleaner install.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I see what you're saying. Where does the female cigarette socket come in with your example?

option 1: Use fuse tap -> the 12v stepdown to 5v converter -> to a female USB socket mounted in the headliner?

option 2: Hide a female cigarette socket under the dash, tapped into tthe fuse panel -> cigarette socket to USB converter -> USB cable to headliner.

Am I on the right track? I like option 1 for a better/cleaner install.
Yes you are on the right track. Both options will work :eek:k3:

As you stated the 1st option will be cleaner. But, you will have to find a ground for the step down converter. Shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Reactions: Joe
1 - 11 of 11 Posts