Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello: I am reconverting my electric fuel pump to a more original mechanical fuel pump. The electric one was put in by a previous owner. I am having problems locating a fuel pump that will fit. However, I have this pump that has a nipple on it that looks like it should be connected to vacuum. Can someone tell me what this connection is for? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Hello: I am reconverting my electric fuel pump to a more original mechanical fuel pump. The electric one was put in by a previous owner. I am having problems locating a fuel pump that will fit. However, I have this pump that has a nipple on it that looks like it should be connected to vacuum. Can someone tell me what this connection is for? Thank you. View attachment 164518

Some GM mechanic fuel pumps had a fuel return line to the fuel tank. This MAY be the line you referenced.

I have replaced numerous GM fuel pumps in 1960’s & 1970’s vehicles - but none from the 1950’s. I do not recall fuel return lines on the ones I replaced (personal vehicles) - but recall people talking about them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Someone out there must have a 1958 Impala 348 that has a stock mechanical fuel pump on it. I bought this fuel pump that is supposed to be the correct one for my model car but I am at a lose as what to connect to the two nipples at the top of the pump. Either vacuum or fuel return. Can you pop your hood at take a look for me? Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Some cars with vacuum-powered wipers got their vacuum source from a port on the fuel pump, e.g. 1950's Packard Clipper. So it's possible that's what that port on your pump is for.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good suggestion. Thank you. I have electric wipers and I am ready to just put the pump in and see what happens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts