Impala Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am new here well fairly new so excuse me if I do something wrong. Ok I had bought a stereo an aftermarket stereo (jvc double din) also a new wiring harness for the aftermarket stereo. After wiring it up before I installed it I was holding it on my leg adjusting all the settings. After about ten minutes of playing the radio I accidentally tipped the radio back to far and the heat sink touched my leg. Well I didn't know if I got shocked or bit or burned lol. I seriously do not think the heat sink should have been that hot. I have never ever worked with a stereo with a heat sink either so maybe its supposed to be that hot. Anyways after about three months the left back speaker stopped working all together and yes still hotter than hell heat sink. So I took it to Geek Squad and they sent it for repair. I was told yes a part inside the unit was bad and needed replacing. So I am wondering if that was caused from the excessive heat? Like I said had it not touched my leg I would have never known it was that hot. Yes I understand what a heat sink is for and how it works however it should be hot only to a reasonable temp I would think and with the part need replaced it make me wonder. I did recheck my wiring all the way around and rewired all four speakers with fresh wire. I am using my battery which I understand is constant and acc/ignition wire illumination wire and ground. Do I need to run a separate ground wire? I do not want to put this stereo back in and have the same thing happen. Maybe I am worrying to much about the heat sink. Just does not seem right to be so darn hot. Can someone please help me out here if I'm making any sense? Like I said maybe its supposed to be that hot maybe I need a better ground. Someone told me to put am AMP on the system and take the strain off the head unit. Anyone HELP! My E-Mail is [email protected] if someones wants to contact me through that.
 
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Top