Impala Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading up and searching online on replacing the lower motor mount on my 07 3.5

Looks straight forward

Jack up the car on stands

Loosen two nuts under car

Loosen top motor mounts

Jack up engine at the pan using jack and block of wood

Remove two bolts holding mount to engine

Install new mount

Lower engine

Tighten all bolts

Am I missing anything?? Any input is appreciated

Car started vibrating slightly and slowly progressed

Seen motor mount was severely shot!!

Thanx guys

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have done them a couple of impala's, in a 02 3400 and my 06 3500. I was shocked to find out that they were both same mounts when I went to do the 06...

I will say that I don't see anything about Removing your Wheel and Motor Splash guard. There is a Bolt that needs to be removed from that area under the motor belt before it can be removed. Once Removed the plate gets moved from old Mount to the new one and bolt back in... Also maybe note that the area that you put the Mount it is kind of molded to fit the mount and can only go in 1 way so I always made sure to remove and keep it in the Direction it was while I take it out so I can keep it going the right way...

Don't have to Remove tire really but would need to be turned to the side so you can get to the bolt after removing the Motor Splash guard from the wheel bay... I did remove my front wheels so I didn't have to fight with anything...

Other then that it sounds like you ahve the idea of how to do it down...

Let us know how it goes..

James

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I forgot to mention that!! I will be removing passenger wheel to get to that one bolt

As for the splash guard, it was missing?
I'll be needing to get one of those as well on my next trip to the junkyard!!

Thanx for the input

·
Registered
588 Posts
I am not 100% sure if not replacing both. I did change out the Trans mount first and connected it back not all the way. I then did the motor mount. I would think that if your not doing the Trans mount you may not have to mess with it.

Once all was back in at that time I tightened it all up and then put the upper ones in. I did have them Removed while I was working on the lower. I am not saying this was the Right way to do things. Just the way I did it...

I hope this helps some. Let us know how your replacement went.

James

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Removal was pretty easy!!

Installation was a bit tough
Engine wouldn't line up to mount when I went to lower it
But I used a pry bar to get it into place
I also removed the upper mounts

Improved my vibrating issue but I'll be needing to replace the upper mounts as well!!

2.5 hours!!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Glad you got it done.. Yes sorry I guess I should have said that I did have to shake the motor back and forth a little to get it to line up.. Seeing one reason I thought it was good that I left the Tranny mount loose some was so I could get a little movement..

Did the upper struts at the same time. However I think if yours don't show signs of damage they could be ok without them being done. I thought seeing I had to take them apart for doing the install I might as well replace them as well...

Always dislike having to work on my cars in the cold weather. Not that I like it anymore in the HOT weather lol.

James

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not 100% sure if not replacing both. I did change out the Trans mount first and connected it back not all the way. I then did the motor mount. I would think that if your not doing the Trans mount you may not have to mess with it.

Once all was back in at that time I tightened it all up and then put the upper ones in. I did have them Removed while I was working on the lower. I am not saying this was the Right way to do things. Just the way I did it...

I hope this helps some. Let us know how your replacement went.

James
So you did the transmission mount first!? How did you go about it?? My car still vibrates when accelerating and I've also replaced the top mounts
I'm hoping by replacing the transmission mount it'll fix my problem

Hopefully I don't gotta loosen up the engine mount to do the transmission mount!!

Thanx

·
Registered
588 Posts
I am not sure if you need to loosen them or not sadly because I was doing both I did take the bottom off both sides before I took off the Trans mount. I know when I talked with a Friend about his Wbody 3800 when he replaced his Trans mount he didn't mess with the Motor side at the time and had more then enough space to take out the mount and put in the new one with space to spare.

James

·
Registered
588 Posts
in most cases they are. On the Trans mount I was kind of shocked really how much play was in the mount. Hard to explain. Maybe if you get a chance take a picture of yours. I am sure it will be a good distance ware as well...

James

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update!!
All mounts are replaced and still get a bad shake when accelerating!!

Once I remove foot from gas and let it cruise the shaking stops!!

I'm confused and don't know where to go from here

Any input is much appreciated

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well, Sounds like it may have some Undercarriage damage?

Guess first question? How old are the Tires, Have you looked for any damage in the tires or Wheels? When was the last time you had a Front end Alignment or even a 4 wheel one? I would check if the wheel are Balanced. Does your steering have weird play like maybe a tie rod is bad? have you looked at your Front Bearings and struts?

Of all that checks out. I guess it could be that you need to check over your SubFrame. It could be that one of the welds has broken or maybe the have bad Sub Frame bushings. IT is hard to guess without seeing things...

James

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.