Impala Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Index of car makers in automobile-catalog

Just ran across this site, they have more info than I have ever seen anywhere on car specs. Not only can they tell me the stock 1/4 mile time for my car, but they have a freakin graph!

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Great find king! Wonder if I can beat my stock 16.9 seconds? If that even sounds right? :dunno:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds about right, mine was I think 18.4, being as how my car is about the same weight, with the same horsepower, more torque, but one less gear... I wonder what it is now? I don't really feel like going to the strip to find out, besides, the nearest 1/4 track is an hour away.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
great site, thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,443 Posts
Cool site! Great find!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Great find. Somehow I find it hard to believe though. 16.9 18.4 and supposidly my wifes is 17.8 with a 1.6. Lol
Cool to know a 3.6ltz can run it in 14.7 at about 95mph with a topspeed of 158-minus speed control lol

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's odd...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Thanks for sharing, some interesting info there.

Wanted an SS back around the time we bought our 08 durango new in 2008. Later ended up buying a 2012 lt. Surprised with looking at that that the v6 in the lt produces a higher top speed and a quicker 1/4 mile time by a tenth, also without question gets better mpg's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had my suspicions. I have a 2013 LT and the 3.6L V6 in it it is the LFX engine that is standard in the Camaro. A little over 300hp, quad overhead cams, direct ignition, variable valve timing, and an all aluminum block and heads. Yeah, she does the trick. It's actually almost exactly the same horsepower as th V8 SS but a lot less weight and better weight distribution.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
While it's the same HP, the LFX has a lot less torque - so even though the SS is heavier and the same HP, an SS will still "outrun" a LFX Impala.

Don't get me wrong, I love the LFX in my 2012 Impala - but the SS will still win in a race. :)

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
While it's the same HP, the LFX has a lot less torque - so even though the SS is heavier and the same HP, an SS will still "outrun" a LFX Impala.

Don't get me wrong, I love the LFX in my 2012 Impala - but the SS will still win in a race. :)
Small displacement engines such as the LFX ( 3.6L=220 in^3 ) need to be turning more RPMs to make high HP. For the LS4 (5.3L=325 in^3) , because it has more torque, it makes good horsepower at lower RPMs, and hence accelerates well from a standing stop.

Even with four valves and direct injection, the LFX doesn't make enough additional torque to be equal to the LS4 (at low RPMs). That said, if you stand on it at 30 or 40 mph, it screams - it's a heckuva motor!

How about an LS4 with 4 valves and direct injection? I think the LT1 has that, but it also has a blower. Does GM have a 4V/DI V8 without a blower?

Doug

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Dunno about the ss outrunning an lfx in 1/4 or even top speed. Other things to consider, the 6 speed trans in my opinion makes up some where the lfx has the lower torque. Have seen some videos of lfx 2013 in 1/4 mile against an ss. The lfx supposedly with just a tune was under 14 everytime while the ss was never under 14. Of course drivers make a difference too, but in my opinion gm did quite well coupling the lfx with the 6 speed in these 12 and newer impalas.

Would be nice to see a supercharged or turbo charged lfx in an 8th or 9th gen impala with a tranny that would hold up to the additional hp, would make for a heck of a sleeper car. lol.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I remember having this "debate" here on the forum before - and someone had both an SS and an LFX Impala and they said that the SS beat the LFX Impala every time (I think he was racing his wife, if I remember correctly). He made it sound like it wasn't even close really...

Persoanlly, I've never driven an SS, so I can't speak from experience. Just from what I've read.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I remember having this "debate" here on the forum before - and someone had both an SS and an LFX Impala and they said that the SS beat the LFX Impala every time (I think he was racing his wife, if I remember correctly). He made it sound like it wasn't even close really...

Persoanlly, I've never driven an SS, so I can't speak from experience. Just from what I've read.
Having driven both, but not raced them, my take is that the SS will definitely get the hole shot, and maybe take the ⅛ mile, but the LFX will win the quarter.

That said, I've never held either of them wide-open-throttle for more than a few seconds at a time. For sure, the LS4, with active fuel management - meaning lots of extra mass in the valve train - is not an engine you want to let near the red line for very long.

Doug

1 - 18 of 18 Posts