Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our cars are supposed to have 17 gallon fuel tanks. My fuel gauge read a little over a quarter of a tank of fuel left, but yet I just filled the tank with over 15 gallons. A few years ago, my car ran out of fuel because the gauge was reading about an eighth of a tank left. Luckily my car died while going down hill on the highway and I was able to coast down an exit ramp and into a fueling station. Does anyone else have an inaccurate fuel gauge?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yup, but mine is the opposite. Well into the empty with the low fuel warning on and it will take 13/14 gallons.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I’d suggest two treatments (two tanks) of Techron Fuel System Cleaner Plus (name recently changed). There are two bottle sizes (12 oz. and 20 oz.) - which list the amount of gasoline treatment. You can use one 20 oz. bottle, or two 12 oz. bottles for each treatment (read the label). Some national auto parts stores periodically run a “buy one - get one free” promotion for the cleaner.

The cleaner eliminates erratic fuel gauge system readings, by dissolving deposits on the fuel sending unit.

GM has issued several TSB’s suggesting that the dealer service department use the GM Fuel System Cleaner (made by Techron for GM) to resolve erratic fuel gauge readings.

I have used it successfully in several of my GM vehicles. The units are prone to deposits, especially if you do not use Top Tier fuel.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’d suggest two treatments (two tanks) of Techron Fuel System Cleaner Plus (name recently changed). There are two bottle sizes (12 oz. and 20 oz.) - which list the amount of gasoline treatment. You can use one 20 oz. bottle, or two 12 oz. bottles for each treatment (read the label). Some national auto parts stores periodically run a “buy one - get one free” promotion for the cleaner.

The cleaner eliminates erratic fuel gauge system readings, by dissolving deposits on the fuel sending unit.

GM has issued several TSB’s suggesting that the dealer service department use the GM Fuel System Cleaner (made by Techron for GM) to resolve erratic fuel gauge readings.

I have used it successfully in several of my GM vehicles. The units are prone to deposits, especially if you do not use Top Tier fuel.
Thanks for the heads-up on that. I'll give the Fuel System Cleaner a try and hopefully that'll fix the issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts