Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been covered but I couldn't find much on it but what are some common issues of the 8th gen impala ss? Other than the horrible tranny. I'm looking to get a 08 ss and want to make sure I'm not buying into problems like this crappy 3.5 of mine.. Does it get the dreaded lim gasket failure like the rest of these cars? Thanks in advance. And yes I know I probably shouldn't get another impala but its what's in my budget for now

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really no lim? Friend of mine with impala told me that's the problem I was having. Any idea what causes oil in coolant? I also lose about a quart of oil between oil changes

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
I mean a Lim can go on any car but the new impalas aren't known for Lim issues like the older ones.

What car are we talking about that's having problems?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry I didn't mean no lim I just meant no lim issues on the 8th gen.
Right now I have the 08 lt 3.5 flex and recently discovered oil in my coolant. A friend with an 8th gen as well told me its probably lim issue. Would it be head gasket causing this or lim?

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Could be a intake manifold gasket or a head gasket.

I just had my
Intake manifold gasket
Head gasket
Rear main seal
Oil pan gasket

All fixed under warranty at 94k miles.

If I had to take a educated guess I'd say your head gaskets are shot.

There is a service bulletin on the head gaskets going bad on the earlier impalas.

If you are under 100k miles you should be able to get it fixed under the powertrain warranty

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Edit.

When I say the tsb on the earlier impalas I mean 2006 and 2007 had the service bulletin on head gaskets going bad.

But my 2008 ls with the 3.5l flex fuel had the head gaskets go at 94k so I guess 08 was prone to head gasket failures also.
:beer:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info ej! Yea I'm having these issues and my 08 just hit 80k. Not really liking Chevy cars so far.. Thought I was upgrading when I sold my 2000 mustang gt for this but my mustang gave me very few problems(clutch cause I beat the shit out of at first and pats system had to be reset) didn't expect these kinda problems with a car so new. After reading different threads on these cars it makes me not want another impala ss or not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
One of the common issues is a burnt out rear defroster harness. The moldex connector is at the passenger side kick panel. It's easy to fix, just cut and bypass.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts