Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally CT6 & Impala's stay of execution was to run out this month. Employees at the plants were notified this week that the new production end is Feb 28th. Hmm. The GM article stated just over 35,000 Impalas were sold in 2019, compared to 140,000 in 2014. They blamed the trend to SUV/CUVs.

·
Registered
888 Posts
are there SUVs that handle well. i know this car isnt a sports car but my 95 SS really hugged the corners with no worries of tip overs. have all the suvs improved in handling to the car level that everyone wants one? awd is a joke and false confidence to people. does zero in the snow. friend had expensive SUV and couldnt make it up my driveway that had just 1 inch of snow. jeep made it up in a 8 inches .

also are the people that wont use plastic straws driving these expensive gas guzzlers ? cant save the earth that way :)

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
have all the suvs improved in handling to the car level that everyone wants one?
I've wondered about that. Over the past ~30 years, we've seen a significant rise in SUV use, and, with the advancements in technology, we've seen a corresponding increase in electronic safety functions in the vehicles.

Does stability control compensate for the vehicle being top heavy? I can't help thinking that it helps make up for drivers unaccustomed to driving trucks.

That said, I've also noticed lots of Suburbans being driven very carefully by soccer moms. They probably never use any of these added features :)

Doug

·
Registered
108 Posts
I still suspect like half of Impalas produced end up in my mid-Michigan area. They are all over the place, despite the low sales numbers.
Looking out 4-5 years, my wife (AKA - The boss) wants a two row SUV as our next vehicle. By then we hope our kids will be out of the house and we can travel a bit more often. And my travel has to be by vehicle due to vertigo (no flying).

·
Registered
298 Posts
I think the smaller stuff, which I call a CUV, handles more like a car, because they are built on the same platforms as cars. We recently had a Ford Escape as a rental in Florida earlier this month. I really didn't notice any difference in handling than a front wheel drive car. It was a lot easier getting in & out of it though, due to the taller seat height. A real SUV like a Tahoe, Suburban, Expedition, etc. is still a truck, though, and is always going to handle like a truck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
are there SUVs that handle well. i know this car isnt a sports car but my 95 SS really hugged the corners with no worries of tip overs. have all the suvs improved in handling to the car level that everyone wants one? awd is a joke and false confidence to people. does zero in the snow. friend had expensive SUV and couldnt make it up my driveway that had just 1 inch of snow. jeep made it up in a 8 inches .

also are the people that wont use plastic straws driving these expensive gas guzzlers ? cant save the earth that way :)
Show me the tires of the Jeep and AWD vehicle and I bet you'll find your answer. AWD is effective in the snow. No it doesn't make it a truck by any means, but it's much more effective than FWD at climbing hills. I live on a hill that's about 60ft high with roughly a 30 degree incline for the driveway. And that's in Michigan. In a FWD car, if you don't have a running start and good tires, you aren't getting up my hill when it has snow on it, period. Or you'll find yourself going off the side of the driveway which is one heck of a ride. My buddy's AWD Lacrosse goes up just fine without a running start whatsoever.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah, I just got a 2013 Buick LaCrosse (Impala's sibling) to replace my 2011 Impala after was rear-ended and totaled. Those ceased production almost a year ago. I certainly prefer it to any SUV or CUV. My understanding is GM also makes/made some CUVs on the same Epsilon platform. Ford and GM both are systematically killing off conventional cars in the U.S. market, keeping only the Mustang and Camaro, respectively. Buick is down to just three CUV models. If it weren't for brisk sales in China, which includes an Epsilon-based LaCrosse, Buick would doubtless be shut down.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If they finally get a V8 in the current body model, they would sell thousands and thousands,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts