Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 impala and when I put it in park it moves forwards or backwards, y pops said its cool and he was a staff sgt. In auto mech. With his own motor pool. Just want a second reveiw

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
When you put it in park the car can roll forward or back until it hit the internal parking pawl stop. I set the e-brake before i take my foot off the brake so three is less pressure on the trans parking pawl.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
x2 I do this every time I park

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Of course we all know how often the parking pawl's break... :giggle:

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Thats my fear, I hate that clunk when you pull an auto tranny into gear when it gets in a bind. It makes me cringe

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Agreed but, unless you use the parking brake on a daily basis and/or lubricate the cables frequiently I would not suggest using the p brake. I have had numerous friends use it and it ends up getting stuck on. Bad scenario. The parking brake however, does relieve stress when pulling out of park on a steep hiil. I have done this once and the popping noise/stiffness wasn't nice to hear.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I lube mine every few months, and it is used daily. A stuck park brake does suck though.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I had one car that the brake cable would lock up when the tempatures froze and the vehicle had not seen wet weather for 2 weeks. After not being able to rock it back and forth to free it I gave up using the parking brake and on that car just hoped the Ford C-6 transmission did not break the parking paw which then they were known for.

·
Drinks Gasoline
237 Posts
I'm lookin' for the man who shot my pawl...

hahahaha I kill me!

In all seriousness, there may be bits of pawl in the tranny pan if you drop the pan. If so, that is not a good thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts