Impala Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, as you can see this is my first post. We purchased a 2007 Impala LS last November with 29000 kms on it. We love the ride and handling of it on most surfaces. However, the first time we had it on ice and snowpack it seemed like the tires had been switched to skates. It scared the shit out of us. Thinking it may be the factory tires we put on brand new Michelin Harmony tires (which was recommended as a good all season tire for this car) to the tune of $900ish. Big mistake, still handles terrible. I also checked air pressure and all tires are set at 32 psi. The tire calls for a max of 44 psi. Is this just how the Impala handles on snow pack and ice or what? Please say it isn't so. HELP!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
lol yup any car will suck on ice like he said not to much u can do about it but change your driving habits to get where ur going safe....... at least u guys are in fwd on the ice some of us prefer to DRIFT TO WORK !!!!!!!! LOL :eek::biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
My wife has a 2003, we put Goodear Assurance Triple treads on it and they seem nice. Only complaint is they are a little loud on certain surfaces.

I found the ice handling to be poor on the original uniroyals but fine with the Goodyears.

I don't have any specific knowledge about the tires you choose but I do know people and just because someone said those were good tires does not make it the case. Was the someone recommending them simply recommending the most expensive tire they sell???

I have a good relationship with the local Pomp's tire, they tell it too me straight and know I will be back frequently because of that. If a tire is expensive but not really that good they wil tell me. When I needed all seasons for my wagon they actually pointed me at a cheap Kelley which actually works better than the snow tires they replaced.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Only way to improve your driving on the ice is to NOT drive on ice. Keep in mind that Mother Nature is a cruel B!tch!!

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
Only way to improve your driving on the ice is to NOT drive on ice. Keep in mind that Mother Nature is a cruel B!tch!!
Says a guy from Texas:rolleyes:.

I have lived where they get 1/2" glaze of ice all over everything, lived where the average winter is 180" of snowfall so the roads are snowpacked 4-5 months of the year, and currently live where it hits at least teens below zero every winter and sometimes 20below and we get pretty good drifting.

You CAN drive in any of it if you have decent rubber and skills.

Snowtires are not necessarily something I will spend a lot on either. They will harden up and lose effectiveness long before they wear out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When you got new tires did they check the rear tire alignment? Seems like most people that report that the car handles poor on ice also suffer from the rear chevrolet tee-pee. (both rear tires pointing inward at the top). They only put out a bulletin for the cop cars though, I have heard not confirmed, that the cop car rear wheel spindle that is noted as defective is the same part as the other cars... So it could affect yours.

So with only the inside edge of the rear tire making good contact, lots have been pretty much unable to drive on snow and ice.

I ran mine on snow and ice not too long ago and it did okay, but then again I had it aligned 3 times in the previous 15,000 miles cause the alignments dont stay put. I only had basic sumitomo all seasons too, and it did okay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
IMHO your problem is the tires. Even the best all-season tires won't give you good handling on ice. You need tires specifically designed as winter tires only, such as Bridgestone Blizzak and the like. These are tires that you will only run in the winter. Most tire places will offer wheel & tire packages, so that you can simply swap wheels/tires twice a year, either at home or very cheaply at a tire shop.

Ice is slippery - no changing that, but these winter tires with a rubber compound designed for ice will give you your best results.

·
Registered
1 Posts
rear tires leaning inward on top

are many other people having this problem? I have a 2008 chevy impala with 20,000 miles. it shakes when going over 60mph and the rear tires seem to lean inward on top. the dealership said it normal wear and tear and won't cover it. just wondering if there are other folks having this same problem.
thanks

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
are many other people having this problem? I have a 2008 chevy impala with 20,000 miles. it shakes when going over 60mph and the rear tires seem to lean inward on top. the dealership said it normal wear and tear and won't cover it. just wondering if there are other folks having this same problem.
thanks
^^ wow at 20000 .... thats a wimpala for u.... i think i read something about uneven tread wear not sure if its on this forum though???:confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I live in Minnessota and commute 75 miles each day. I own 3 Impalas. I've always felt 04 did the best on icy roads. Had Goodyear Alegras on it until I sold the car to my daughter. The 07 LT with the 3.9 belongs to my wife and she also makes the 75 mile commute. If she felt the car was a problem on ice, believe, I'd hear about it. We have Cooper tires on it. I now drive an 08 SS. Still has the stock tires. That car seems like it wants to go all over the road on ice. Love the car but on ice I'm the slowest vehicle on road most times. I did discover towards the end of the season, that by putting a tube of sand (80 lbs) in the trunk, (yeah I know its a front wheel drive), the car seemed less skiddish. Anyway I'm starting out next winter with the sand in the trunk.

·
Banned
351 Posts
thanks
A LOT of people report this issue... Something with the rear camber being preset at the factory makes it a costly fix, and many dealerships try not to cover it. But plenty of people have had it covered under warranty... My opinion is research the issue on NAIOA.com, along with this forum, and get as much info as possible and fight that. You have plenty of warranty left so take your time building your argument, get informed, and let the dealer know u are not a pushover.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts