Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 2001 Chevy Impala (ex cop car) just recently starting jumping at acceloration (feels like tiny stalls but my car doesnt stall). I was just wondering if anyone has experianced this and can tell me what the problem is, I have my G license coming up on Tuesday, so I would like to know if I can use my car for it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have had some of the same problems you're talking about with my 2000 Impala LS. It's generally just that the air intake and fuel injectors are dirty. It's a fairly easy process to fix.

You should look at the fuel injection system and the intake system first. Pull the intake plenum off and examine the throttle body. Is it gunked up with a lot of carbon build up? If so, you need some intake/throttle body cleaner. It is in a spray can and you just spray the inside of the throttle body and wipe away the excess. It helps to open up the "flap" by pulling on the throttle cable. You'll get it cleaner this way. You should first remove the MAF sensor and clean it with MAF cleaner, which is also in a spray can. Do not clean the throttle body with the MAF sensor installed, as you can damage it. The MAF sensor is the black rectangular sensor on the top of the throttle body, and requires the use of a Torx security driver to remove. You can pick up a set of Torx drivers at WalMart or any other hardware/auto parts store.

To clean out the fuel injection system you will need a product called SeaFoam and a funnel. Start your car and open the hood. You will see a black hose running from the firewall to the upper intake manifold, this is the brake booster line and here is where you will add the Seafoam. Slowly disconnect this line from the firewall. You will notice the engine will start to sputter and run funny. This is normal. Place your thumb over the hole and you'll notice the idle will smooth out. If the car dies, reconnect this hose and try again. Place the funnel in the hose and slowly add Seafoam. You'll keep adding the Seafoam until you've used about a half a bottle. Just before you get to half a bottle, dump enough in to stall the engine. IF the engine doesn't stall, just shut it off. Reconnect the brake booster hose. Let the car sit for about 15 minutes before starting it again. Add the rest of the can to the oil, and you can also add another can to the gas tank to further clean the fuel injectors. After 15 minutes, restart the car. It will start harder than usual, but this is normal. You may also notice some white smoke coming from the tailpipe, this is also normal. Take the car for a good drive, hitting the accelerator hard to take advantage of the Seafoam in the lifer valleys and whatnot. You will notice it idles and accelerates much better. Run through the gas until you get the low fuel light and refill.

Since you're working in the engine bay, check the air filter and see if it's dirty. If so, replace it, and you could also consider replacing the fuel filter. The fuel filter is located on the drivers side under the car. Lift the car and look under the car around the back door. It's a cylinder attached to the fuel lines.

If you are still having problems you should have the spark plugs and wires changed. You may also have a bad coil pack, but that is relatively uncommon.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had some of the same problems you're talking about with my 2000 Impala LS. It's generally just that the air intake and fuel injectors are dirty. It's a fairly easy process to fix.

You should look at the fuel injection system and the intake system first. Pull the intake plenum off and examine the throttle body. Is it gunked up with a lot of carbon build up? If so, you need some intake/throttle body cleaner. It is in a spray can and you just spray the inside of the throttle body and wipe away the excess. It helps to open up the "flap" by pulling on the throttle cable. You'll get it cleaner this way. You should first remove the MAF sensor and clean it with MAF cleaner, which is also in a spray can. Do not clean the throttle body with the MAF sensor installed, as you can damage it. The MAF sensor is the black rectangular sensor on the top of the throttle body, and requires the use of a Torx security driver to remove. You can pick up a set of Torx drivers at WalMart or any other hardware/auto parts store.

To clean out the fuel injection system you will need a product called SeaFoam and a funnel. Start your car and open the hood. You will see a black hose running from the firewall to the upper intake manifold, this is the brake booster line and here is where you will add the Seafoam. Slowly disconnect this line from the firewall. You will notice the engine will start to sputter and run funny. This is normal. Place your thumb over the hole and you'll notice the idle will smooth out. If the car dies, reconnect this hose and try again. Place the funnel in the hose and slowly add Seafoam. You'll keep adding the Seafoam until you've used about a half a bottle. Just before you get to half a bottle, dump enough in to stall the engine. IF the engine doesn't stall, just shut it off. Reconnect the brake booster hose. Let the car sit for about 15 minutes before starting it again. Add the rest of the can to the oil, and you can also add another can to the gas tank to further clean the fuel injectors. After 15 minutes, restart the car. It will start harder than usual, but this is normal. You may also notice some white smoke coming from the tailpipe, this is also normal. Take the car for a good drive, hitting the accelerator hard to take advantage of the Seafoam in the lifer valleys and whatnot. You will notice it idles and accelerates much better. Run through the gas until you get the low fuel light and refill.

Since you're working in the engine bay, check the air filter and see if it's dirty. If so, replace it, and you could also consider replacing the fuel filter. The fuel filter is located on the drivers side under the car. Lift the car and look under the car around the back door. It's a cylinder attached to the fuel lines.

If you are still having problems you should have the spark plugs and wires changed. You may also have a bad coil pack, but that is relatively uncommon.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Don't forget to change the oil after a few hundred miles after the seafoam treatment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts