Impala Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i seen a video on youtube and it was a 2007 impala with the 3.9l v6 they had digital speed on the cluster where the miles and other stuff is how do u do that?

·
Registered
172 Posts
You can do average speed, aside from that it isn't possible without someone knowing how to reprogram whichever module controls the cluster.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
darn cause i like that feature that i saw it show mph actually

·
Registered
172 Posts
I agree, I wish it would display that. It obviously has the ability because it can do average speed. Doesn't make much sense why they wouldn't include it unless it had a noticeable margin of error from the speedo.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well here is one. I wonder if it is on the LTZ because I see more then one with the Feature...

James

·
Registered
588 Posts
Here is one on a Police 3.9 So to me sounds like a LTZ cluster upgrade the Police have the 140 cluster as well at 5:33 you can see the Speed on the Cluster

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did yall hear a lil sqeak when he started it what is that sounded like on driver side my does same noise when cold started and also did yall hear him say engine rebuilt 25k miles i wonder why.... probably police run it too hard.... but yes would love to have the digital spped feature please let me know if yall find out how

·
Registered
172 Posts
Weird... I have a '13 LTZ and that feature is nowhere to be found. It's probably just a calibration change honestly....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Pretty interesting. Thanks for posting those videos, Revo2Maxx. I certainly wouldn't mind having this feature enabled in my car.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Ok maybe not a LTZ feature but maybe a Impala POL feature. Seeing I am seeing them on Mostly police cars. However I will admit I did see one so far without the option when going though the button. It could be I missed it... But here is another old Police Car...
Shows up at 340ish in the Video This one is for an 08...

·
Registered
442 Posts
There's a way to put the display on my Mustang Cobra into diagnostic mode that will display all sorts of info such as realtime vehicle speed. This from Mustang World ...

Ford decided to include a cool hidden feature in the instrument cluster starting in 99 and also in 2000. With a simple press of the trip button and turn of the key you could not only test your instrument cluster (gauges), oil pressure and speedo senders, but get a real time digital readout of your speed, tach and other info AS you drive your stang.
The procedure for putting the Mustang cluster into diagnostic mode can be found at THIS link. The Impala may have the same feature, but the necessary procedure is likely to be different.

Cheers!

Reactions: plano-doug

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
There's a way to put the display on my Mustang Cobra into diagnostic mode that will display all sorts of info such as realtime vehicle speed. This from Mustang World ...
Ford decided to include a cool hidden feature in the instrument cluster starting in 99 and also in 2000. With a simple press of the trip button and turn of the key you could not only test your instrument cluster (gauges), oil pressure and speedo senders, but get a real time digital readout of your speed, tach and other info AS you drive your stang.​
I've wondered about incorporating diagnostic features, ala a code scanner, into the dash, via the instrument cluster or radio or back-up camera. This surely sounds like a step in that direction.

That was in 2000. I wonder why it hasn't come much further.

Doug

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I've wondered about incorporating diagnostic features, ala a code scanner, into the dash, via the instrument cluster or radio or back-up camera. This surely sounds like a step in that direction.

That was in 2000. I wonder why it hasn't come much further.

Doug

I honestly don't think that car companies want you diagnosing your own car - they'd rather have you bring it to one of their dealers...

Sent from my A1160 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well I am going to go back on a limb here and guess one thing. I can't confirm this but is a thought...

The POL version of Impala has a Registered Speedo. I think that is why it has the ability to have a Digital readout to confirm the normal one is within Specs.

James

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2012 LTZ and it's not an option on mine either. Gonna side with everyone else and say it's most likely a police package only thing.
Makes sense because in most cases, spedometers in police vehicles have to be certified for accuracy.

Also not surprising to at all also about the rebuild, police vehicles sit and idle for hours upon hours, wears the hell out of the cams.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I will second the police thing. I was reading the brochures for the police impalas a while back, and in the brochures it actually says that the police impalas have a redundant speedometer function through the DIC. I'll try to find the brochure for you.

Edit:

Found it. "140 mph certified analog speedometer, 5 mph increments with digital trip odometer and warning lamps. Driver Information Center includes 1 mph redundant digital speed display"
http://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam/...esources/PDFs/2013 Municipal Guide Impala.pdf

·
Registered
172 Posts
Neat. So it's most likely offered through the police calibration of the cluster. If you swapped in a police cluster you'd probably have yourself the feature.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
probably yes the police ones but only problem is that the cluster are still miles on cluster not on pcm right or?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts